Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: orchids

Seb

orchids

I had the opportunity to shoot various orchids last week end. Here is one which I think turned out well.

As usual, any comment is appreciated.

regards

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:48 PM.

I'm not sure what it is but something does not look right to me here. I like the bg, and think it is almost a fine subject in itself. And the Orchids look nice but not close enough I think. Seems to me like the Orchids are a bit oversahdowed by this really interesting bg of bricks and texture and nice blur. I think I might want to see you get closer to the flowers or blur the bg alot more
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I tryed doing some stuff in photoshop with this one but couldn't really come up with much...those dark lines in the bricks are visually distracting, and the pink doesn't really pop out that much from the background. I really like what you're doing with the composition--it's one thing to shoot a shot of a flower, another thing to shoot a flower and an environment

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    I had the opportunity to shoot various orchids last week end. Here is one which I think turned out well.

As usual, any comment is appreciated.

regards

Seb
    I like the shot but think that it has a bluish or cyan cast. Hope you don't mind that I warmed it a little to show what I mean. I think it gives a better color to the flowers and provides more seperation from the wall. Maybe it's all just my monitor, since I'm sure you have yours calibrated better than mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails orchids-seborch1.jpg  

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    I like the shot but think that it has a bluish or cyan cast. Hope you don't mind that I warmed it a little to show what I mean. I think it gives a better color to the flowers and provides more seperation from the wall. Maybe it's all just my monitor, since I'm sure you have yours calibrated better than mine.

Hello Chunk,

With all due respect I think that the warming you performed here is slightly overdone but I like your idea. I think that you are right on regarding the fact that it helps to separate the orchids from the wall.

Tweek my pictures to your liking, I don't mind at all. In fact this is certainly the best way to express an idea.

thank you for your help

Seb

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I'm not sure what it is but something does not look right to me here. I like the bg, and think it is almost a fine subject in itself. And the Orchids look nice but not close enough I think. Seems to me like the Orchids are a bit oversahdowed by this really interesting bg of bricks and texture and nice blur. I think I might want to see you get closer to the flowers or blur the bg alot more

Hello Gary,

I dont have the exif info in hands right now but I am pretty sure that I used an aperture of f/2.8 on that one (f/3.5 at worst). Starting from that point, how do I get to blur the background even more (directly on the field while shooting)? Would using a longer focal lenght to shallow the DOF do the trick???

(n.b. I don't mean to find excuses for the picture, I fully stand behind it the way it is, I just thought that providing the aperture information is useful).

regards

Seb

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehulsebus
    I tryed doing some stuff in photoshop with this one but couldn't really come up with much...those dark lines in the bricks are visually distracting, and the pink doesn't really pop out that much from the background. I really like what you're doing with the composition--it's one thing to shoot a shot of a flower, another thing to shoot a flower and an environment

Thanks Mikehulsebus,

I appreciate your comment.

Seb

Thread Information