Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Jasmine in the Woods -implied [pic attached]

I had the opportunity to shoot with the beautiful Jasmine this past weekend and we got a lot of great shots. At the halfway point through my editing, this one stands out as one of my favorites. It's actually part of a set of 5 shots I took of her in the same spot. I'd be hapy to post the whole thing if anyone is interested.
    Anyway, critiques are much appreciated. I'm way too enamored with this shot to give myself an honest one...

Lens: 35mm
    Around f8
    Shutter 1/60
    Film: Kodak BW400CN

Peer through the scope with an amoral code...
    -Naked Raygun

*Arctirus helps old ladies INTO traffic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmadcow/

Love + Music + Photography = Life CLKunst's Avatar

Re: Jasmine in the Woods -implied [pic attached]

MMC~

It's great to see you back in the forum. As usual you have a stunning image of a beautiful girl. This is a whimsical kind of scene, I keep thinking she's waiting for the Little People or Puck to come for a visit. I love the sweep of her hair across the back of her neck.

I have two small issues with this shot, probably would be easy darkroom fixes. First there is a hot highlight top dead center where the trees part that, I feel, distracts from the lovely swirl of bokeh you have going on in the far distance. I'd crop the top edge to just where the branches start to break apart. Second there's a white shirt or bra cup or something right on the side of her breast. Toning it down with some burning might bring it into range where it would be less noticeable thereby allowing the imagination to wander a little further. Beautiful image on the whole, please show some more from the series if you can.
    C.L. Kunst - CLicKs Photography
    Asheville Photographer
    www.clicksphotography.net

Thanks for the input, CL! It is nice to be back, and hopefully I can add a few more posts in the coming weeks.
    Unfortunately, with BW400CN film, there is no easy ANYTHING in the darkroom. I'm currently working on an 11x14 print in the darkroom, and the exposure times are crazy long. I'm also running into the issue of her looking "cut out" because of masking her off to burn the surrounding area. Still, I'm on a mission to get it right...
    Thanks for pointing out that object to her right, I hadn't noticed it before. She certainly wasn't wearing anything white and she wasn't covering up... I think it's probably a leaf that maybe didn't get as dark when I burned. I'll try and touch that up if I'm able.
    Also, I'll upload the rest of the series when I get back home tonight.
    -Jason
    Peer through the scope with an amoral code...
    -Naked Raygun

*Arctirus helps old ladies INTO traffic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmadcow/

GB1

McMadCow - Ditto what Cindy pointed out, plus that skirt she is wearing is such a contrast against her bare back.. seems a bit out of place there in the woods (?) The background of the woods is OK but not so great that it ought to command this much of the photo: I would zoom in a little to have her in more of the pic. Another aspect of the pic that strikes me is the intense contrast - it makes it seem like a scary situaton. Maybe that is what you were shooting for, but she seems like she is terrified (alone, almost naked) because some bad wolf might jump out at her (heck, I spent all kinds of time in the outdoors and even I see this woods as threatening). Not sure if you meant for it to be like this, but if so it worked.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

I like the idea here, and feel it came off ok. I agree with much of what Cindy stated. I would crop tighter overall to bring her more prominent, and although you stated you intentionally burned in the woods, I would try to bring out more detail in the shadows. Less contrast. I notice also a fine black line under her arm, maybe from the burning in the surrounding areas? I can see it here, I would imagine it would be more noticeable in a larger print.
    I like this alot, just thinbk a tighter crop and less contrast will improve.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information