Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Bacon Jesus

Bacon Jesus

And how it was shot Just figured I should show how much I hate actual compositing and how I avoided it.

Last edited by SuperJ; 05-16-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Re: Bacon Jesus

Very creative. My biggest issues is how centered everything seems. Jesus as well as the horizon. I also think it would help if the sand was smooth.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

GB1

Hmm. This is WILD and I'm not sure what to say about it!

Big expansive beach, small subject and an odd choice of props is how I would sum things up. Not sure I get the bacon thing (maybe that's explained later?), but the actual photograph is very well done. There's a hazy, halo look to the background that adds to the mystique. I'm confused.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Without the title I am not sure I could have figured this out. Jesus looks a little more like Sasquatch with a sash and the bacon package is too soft.
    I think the 2nd shot has more story telling elements.

I was thinking it could be fish and bread. I dont get the bacon thing either. Arne said hes seeing a "2nd shot" but I only see one... So, not sure whats going on, is my browser not loading one of the images?

Anyway an excellent capture, but slightly over-processed for my flavor. The black point could stand to be raised as well.

And, I think the suit confuses me more than the bacon does... whats up with that?

There was certainly a significant effort behind the shot

- the Jesus outfit and humongous beard
    - ladder, and dressed up assistant
    - flash with soft box in a windy beach so I guess it is weighted

I suppose Jesus is making the bacon levitate ?

The image has blotchy light and it is soft as in just woken up
    Jesus is too far to appreciate any good detail,
    it is hard to tell it is a bacon package

Well, I love weird and whimsy and this certainly fits that.

I do appreciate how you went through the trouble of setting it up so that no compositiing need be done later, but really, adding a package of bacon would have been simple and left the task of carrying the ladder behind.

The best shot here is the "making of the image" shot. The guy on the ladder in the suit and his expression is great.
    Aside from the idea of the Jesus and the summoning of the bacon, which I don't get, the image looks as if it were all composited anyway because of the amount of diffused light filter or negative clarity that was used here, or both. The softness ( I would guess you wanted an ethereal dreamy sort of mood and feel) has erased so much detail that we cannot make out that it is a bacon package or that Jesus is who he is supposed to be. Perhaps making the dreamy effect on a layer and masking some of it away from your subjects so that they stand out stronger.

Def a fun shoot, but that behind the scenes image is a winner.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I don't get this at all! It is so soft, the colors are strange and without an explanation I wouldn't have a clue what it was supposed to be. I guess this is just past my imaginations ability, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

GB1

I agree that if Jesus was tossing bread or maybe fish that it would 'connect' better to our historical understanding. Anyway, good conversation photo ...
    GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Needs Work

I'm with Grandpaw on this. The softness makes it pretty much impossible to see. Even though I read the title I still didn't see that is was bacon Jesus was reaching for in the first photo. I can't see his face, either. None of that takes away from the concept, though. It's an interesting idea it just hasn't been executed well. I don't think the softness adds anything to the image or concept - just takes away. Is there a reason you did that? Did you want it to look dreamy? That's fine if you did. You just can't allow that to take away from the actual content / symbolism.

I think you should sit on this concept for a bit, ask some questions and pay attention to this thread and then try it again with what you learn. Like I said, it's a good idea and a great conceptual project. I think if you let it percolate a bit and then try it again you may very well make it work. You'll probably offend some people. But that's part of the artistic tradition, right?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information