Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Backyard lighting

A few from my backyard I hope you like them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Backyard lighting-dsc_0046-edit.jpg   Backyard lighting-dsc_0047-edit.jpg  

n8

Re: Backyard lighting

There's just something awkward about the lighting you put on her coming from the opposite of the sun (judging by the shadows). It also appears to bit harsh. I would suggest lighting from the opposite side in these and using something to diffuse, if not enlarge your light source, like a mini/strobe mountable softbox. I think this would help her fit in with the setting as well.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Her face doesn't seem like it's in focus in the second shot. And yeah, I'd try repositioning the main light (higher up and more toward the center)... and using a larger diffuser. I also might think about hairlight.

I'm saying all of the above with the understanding that you would have the opportunity to try these again (as opposed to them being a one-shot deal).

How many lights - and what modifiers - do you have to work with?

Thanks guys, well Draymorton I have a few (3) flashes, 2 light stands, radio poppers, two shoot throws and one silver umbrella, as well as a homemade soft box about 2.5x2.5 made out of a silver umbrella , and a few reflectors. I have started to learn more about, and I am trying to understand lighting better for a few months now. I must say I look up to some of you here for your works are amazing. And I try to understand and see what you guys are doing, but I must say this will be a long and fun ride. Your comment of moving the light more to the center was of course right on now that you say it I see my mistake. Maybe a reflector on the other side as well would add more…

Cool, thanks for the info.

You could do a few things, including (but not limited to):

- putting the shoot-thru umbrella high and slightly to the right (and close in for the biggest, softest lightsource possible)

- the above, plus a hairlight in back of her

- #1, plus a bare flash (or softbox) from the other side and slightly behind for a rim light

- I'd also try a white reflector somewhere below her for some fill

With this model, I think you want to avoid hard, low, directional light in general. For equipment, I would recommend looking into the 46" Softlighter II. Relatively inexpensive for what it is, very portable, and, from what I've seen, an amazing lightsource for portraits. I've used it a couple times and have to say that it will probably be the next modifier I'll buy.

I'd also hope that guys like Gary, Steve, and Phil would chime in here, as they are light years (no pun intended) ahead of me with this stuff.

Thanks for all your help I'll try to get her to pose for me again. She's pritty sick of it by now.

GB1

I think experimenting with lighting like you're doing here is the only way to learn.

I believe it's a little too dark on the left side. They say smooth, even lighting is the most flattering. A reflector would help. I think the project is tough overall because the background is soooo bright and colorful that it is just hard to get her right. Some possibilities are to use the camera's pop up flash (if it has) but at about -2.5f stops of brightness to make it a good fill flash. Another is to avoid the contrasty attire she's wearing: white and black is hard to make work.

Overall, I think it's a good learning experience situation. Bump up the ISO to get a faster SS though.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thread Information