Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Backlight???

Backlight???

Do you like backlight? I think you can get some very interesting results. I had just finished mowing the lawn and was playing around in the flower garden yesterday evening. We had one sunflower that had bloomed and some very interesting light hitting it. I'm interested in what you think. Nikon D70 and 105mm f2.8.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Backlight???-profile.jpg   Backlight???-back-light.jpg   Backlight???-stem-leaf.jpg   Backlight???-quarter.jpg  

Beware: Mom With Camera
    Wow! I think those are incredible! I'm with you - I really like expiermenting with light... sometimes you can get an awesome result.

The bottom one is perfect. I love it, the crop, the color, everything. The only thing I would do to it is clone out that one little piece of white at the top. LOL.
    Kate

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Do you like backlight? I think you can get some very interesting results. I had just finished mowing the lawn and was playing around in the flower garden yesterday evening. We had one sunflower that had bloomed and some very interesting light hitting it. I'm interested in what you think. Nikon D70 and 105mm f2.8.
    Hello Old Timer,

These are all very strong! They have a lot of visual impact due to the backlighting against a dark background, your compositions and the sharpness. About the sharpness, I assume that it comes in great part from the excellent lighting but your lense appears very good too. My personal favorite is the last one too.

Seb

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Seb
    Hello Old Timer,

These are all very strong! They have a lot of visual impact due to the backlighting against a dark background, your compositions and the sharpness. About the sharpness, I assume that it comes in great part from the excellent lighting but your lense appears very good too. My personal favorite is the last one too.

Seb

Thanks Seb and Kate. I had fun with this scene. I shot it several ways and was curious as to which image would have the most appeal. The 4th shot is pretty much out of the camera just a little crop to get it more symetrical.

Really makes your subject pop from the background, looks great! Can't decide on a favorite between 3rd and 4th images. The third has interesting lines to it and the backlighting makes it happen ("happen" like jazz musicians say). One minor criticism with the 4th - I see something in the background between the petals of the flower. Minor and could be cloned out in PS, but everything else is very good.

That's the leaf from behind..

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Really makes your subject pop from the background, looks great! Can't decide on a favorite between 3rd and 4th images. The third has interesting lines to it and the backlighting makes it happen ("happen" like jazz musicians say). One minor criticism with the 4th - I see something in the background between the petals of the flower. Minor and could be cloned out in PS, but everything else is very good.

That bright spot is the leaf behind the flower. You can see the highlight area in the other images. I really didn't see it untill after I posted, but I'm so bad at PS I would have never gotten it out anyway. Thanks for your kind comments on these images.

Opinionated Newbie
    When I see photo's like these I can't help but to be humbled by how beautiful nature is. The details in a simple flower blow me away.

The one on the bottom is beautiful.

Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar
    I think the first, Third and Fourth image are awesome, Perfect lighting for your subject and great angle too! The fourth one is actually the best, it makes me feel like I'm peeking at it, and It's peeking back at me! lol

Rachel

Very Nice

I also like the last one the best; it is perfectly put in the frame. The bottom right corner which has the center of the flower pieces pointing at the corner is great. It really gives your eyes a place to start which are then led through the picture to the leaves.

Anyway nice work, they all have great detail to them.

just me
    Those shots are absolutety beautiful!!
    CJ

mjm
    that guy.
    Woooooooow.

Very nice responses...

Quote Originally Posted by mjm
    Woooooooow.

Very nice responses to these images. I was very curious as to which one would be the PR favorite. It seems #4 caught most people. That was somewhat of a suprise to me for two reasons, one the tight crop leaving out part of the flower sometimes turns people off and the other was I have seen similiar photo's and I was afraid of the copy cat thing. But then again most of us are looking at a lot of images and many times trying to duplicate or replicate the results. At anyrate I am very grateful to those that viewed these images and took the time to respond. All four were taken with the D70 still very much in the learning stage. They were shot on manuel using the spot meter with the Nikkor 105mm f2.8 lens. I did use a tripod for all these shots. Thanks again and glad you enjoyed.

Very nice responses to these images. I was very curious as to which one would be the PR favorite. It seems #4 caught most people. That was somewhat of a suprise to me for two reasons, one the tight crop leaving out part of the flower sometimes turns people off and the other was I have seen similiar photo's and I was afraid of the copy cat thing. But then again most of us are looking at a lot of images and many times trying to duplicate or replicate the results. At anyrate I am very grateful to those that viewed these images and took the time to respond. All four were taken with the D70 still very much in the learning stage. They were shot on manuel using the spot meter with the Nikkor 105mm f2.8 lens. I did use a tripod for all these shots. Thanks again and glad you enjoyed.
    For me it's close between 1 and 4. I really like the backlit fuzz on 1 but don't care for the corner leaf (could be burnt down?). #4 is near perfect ( would shamelessly clone out the white smudge and the spare fuzzy tendril. Both images are among the best flower shots I've seen on PR.
    Your garden is very fruitful this year.

mjm
    that guy.
    Didn't really have a chance for a good reply last night (just got home from a photoshoot and it was almost midnight)... Anyways, I _REALLY_ like how these turned out. The lighting is excellent and you really captured the details of this flower.

My personal favorites are the last 2. I really love how the flower just pops out of the background soooo much.

Those 2 shots get my vote for featured photo.

For me, the one that best shows off the subtlety of backlighting is #1. However, the design effect of #4 is outstanding (I, too, would like to see the areas in between the petals cloned clean). They are all very nice shots...

just like goosebumps!

the little hairs on the stems/leaves remind me of the hairs on an arm standing up when you get goosebumps....
    and that is exactly what your pics did for me

These are fantastic. I really love the original composition on these.

VillenaDeCorte
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    Really , really excellent !! Well done for finding such beauty in a humle flower. Blows me away !!
    Bobby

Larry, the photos you've been posting lately are just fantastic. The color and clarity are amazing.
    Of course, it doesn't hurt to have a talented photographer behind the camera, now does it?
    Lara

Thanks once again....

Thanks once again to the latest comments. The response to these images has been fantastic. Much better that I had imagined. I am just so grateful that I got the D70 and am now able to post images on a regular basis. This site has been a God send for me. Living in a rural area as I do, doesn't give me much of an opportunity to show my work to other photographers and get honest opinion and comments. I really appreciate the fact that so many here at PR are willing to share and give freely of their knowledge and advise. I'm not very good with PS but after some of the comments I have made an attempt to clean up the forth image and remove a couple of offending features. Hope this is close to what some have ask for.

Larry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Backlight???-clone-2.jpg  

Thanks once again to the latest comments. The response to these images has been fantastic. Much better that I had imagined. I am just so grateful that I got the D70 and am now able to post images on a regular basis. This site has been a God send for me. Living in a rural area as I do, doesn't give me much of an opportunity to show my work to other photographers and get honest opinion and comments. I really appreciate the fact that so many here at PR are willing to share and give freely of their knowledge and advise. I'm not very good with PS but after some of the comments I have made an attempt to clean up the forth image and remove a couple of offending features. Hope this is close to what some have ask for.

Larry
    Even better. Now what are your prices on 5x7s and 8x10s?

Just for fun I took a look at your shot with a background of deep complementary purple and think that looks good too - but I like the original black better.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chunk; 08-13-2004 at 11:36 AM.

Old Timer...

I've been looking at these shots for a few days now and I just have to comment. These are so proffessional. They are crisp, clean, vibrant, well cropped and that's an amazing lens you have there. Your lighting capture rules and your exposure is right on the money. I see no difference in your shots of this flower from similar ones I have seen sell for a lot of money! As for the "copy cat thing", don't even give it a second thought. There is really no shot that hasn't been done before and even in the same exact way. It's all been done! It's your particular take on it that makes it unique. I'm sure that all of us have seen shots on here that we did before or at least have seen before. You are very talented and you have a good eye (even though you say you dont!). Keep it up.
    ~ Kit

I've been meanig to get to this

you have ruined all back lit objects for me...let me explain...I found these to be so striking and BEAUTIFUL that I drove around for the last few days since I saw these waiting and hoping to see a scene liek this one...You did an amazing job with these...wow
    ;)
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

I like #1 and #4 best. They are very "graphic" images that I could imagine on posters, etc. On #1, I'd clone out the stray leaf in the bottom right corner.

Thanks Kit and Nat.

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    I As for the "copy cat thing", don't even give it a second thought. There is really no shot that hasn't been done before and even in the same exact way. It's all been done! It's your particular take on it that makes it unique. I'm sure that all of us have seen shots on here that we did before or at least have seen before. ~ Kit
    Thanks Kit for your very nice comments about these images. You make a good point about the "copy cat thing" one we should all keep in mind. I know some of my best images came from trying to duplicate or copy someone elses style or idea.

And Nat I know you will come up with you own very special and unique back light image. You have a great eye and one will popup for you and we will all be envious over it.

Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    I like #1 and #4 best. They are very "graphic" images that I could imagine on posters, etc. On #1, I'd clone out the stray leaf in the bottom right corner.
    I had hoped you would comment on these images. Your macro's and closeup are always so very professional looking that I wanted your opinion on these. And I did as you suggested on number one and it does help the photo. Looking forward to your next post.

Larry

Thread Information