B&W Covered Bridge

Printable View

• 03-20-2004, 07:01 PM
    CB Photo
    1 Attachment(s)
    B&W Covered Bridge
    This was shot on a VERY cold winter day in southern North Carolina 2003.

mamiya M645
    t-max 100
    developed in tmax
    scanned with epson 3170

Please commment on how I could have framed this shot better!
  • 03-21-2004, 05:41 PM
    PuckJunkey
    I think the framing is actually pretty good. You've played off the curvature of the road and have not brought too much of the tree tops into the shot. It's also important to keep the main subject off-center a bit and you've done that as well.

I will say it's probably a little out of focus (although scanning with a consumer-grade device could be the cause of the evergreen bushes appearing blurry). Beyond that you need to correct the perspective a bit. The bridge and road are falling away to the right. Even if that's the way it really is, you can easily straighten them without messing up the trees, since it's only a slight tilt.

Fix those minor items and you've got a great shot.
  • 03-21-2004, 10:14 PM
    sabraunlich
    My only thoughts are to level it off and that it looks like the focus is at the bend in the road and not the bridge. That may just be my worn down eyes, though. Like the sun/shade pattern on the road, it adds good depth.
  • 03-22-2004, 06:15 PM
    mtbbrian
    It works...
    As I recall, this is your "life project"? Yes?
    I think the framing is good. It's offset a little and not right smack in the middle of the frame.
    Although you might be able to crop the right a bit, because the stumps or rocks seem to be a bit much.
    You couldn't have asked for better placement and curve of the road. It takes your eye right to the bridge.
    I would really have to see a print of this image, rather than on the computer to fully appreciate this.
    I hope to see more!
    Brian
  • 03-22-2004, 07:05 PM
    CB Photo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    As I recall, this is your "life project"? Yes?
    I think the framing is good. It's offset a little and not right smack in the middle of the frame.
    Although you might be able to crop the right a bit, because the stumps or rocks seem to be a bit much.
    You couldn't have asked for better placement and curve of the road. It takes your eye right to the bridge.
    I would really have to see a print of this image, rather than on the computer to fully appreciate this.
    I hope to see more!
    Brian

Hi, no this is not my life project, you have confused me with another. Thanks for the comments, I am planning to print this soon.

Best regards