Au Petit Creux

Printable View

• 09-24-2009, 12:34 PM
    Tuna
    Au Petit Creux
  • 09-24-2009, 01:19 PM
    Greg McCary
    Re: Au Petit Creux
    Awesome shot again. You might consider cloning the lady in orange. Wow I can't believe I actually have a suggestion for you this time. Your work is always so wonderful. What film did you use?
  • 09-24-2009, 02:32 PM
    Tuna
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Awesome shot again. You might consider cloning the lady in orange. Wow I can't believe I actually have a suggestion for you this time. Your work is always so wonderful. What film did you use?

Greg, cloning the lady in orange was the one thing I strongly considered and passed on. Good eye. It would have cleaned the image into a crisp set of thirds - however I finally decided on re-inforcing the activity inside to contrast with the activity in the dim outside and left Miss Orange in. By the way, this is shot in Montmartre and that is one of the wandering artists of the area beginning a chalk portrait of a passerby.

Shot on Ektar 100.

Tuna
  • 09-24-2009, 06:43 PM
    jetrim
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuna
    Greg, cloning the lady in orange was the one thing I strongly considered and passed on. Good eye. It would have cleaned the image into a crisp set of thirds - however I finally decided on re-inforcing the activity inside to contrast with the activity in the dim outside and left Miss Orange in.

Very valid concern, but it would seem that the couple inside the door re-enforces the couple outside in a "what is and what will be" sort of way. The woman in orange certainly adds an element of interest and a punch of color, but placement is awkward and intrudes on the street scene, so I think I'd have to agree with Greg.
  • 09-25-2009, 12:27 AM
    readingr
    Interseting thoughts but the bit that bothers me is the chaps shirt under the pad more than the woman in orange, that is what I would clone out. The woman in orange sitting is a counterpoint to the artist taking the portrait of the standing woman outside and the position in the gap between the artist and pad makes this for me. The people sitting serenely in the bar in the doorway is another counterpoint to the activity in the street outside along with the light inside and the dark outside.

A classic Tuna picture and I love it.

Roger R.
  • 09-26-2009, 05:25 AM
    Tuna
    Here it is with the modifications suggested by Greg and Roger - along with a few other minor adjustments to the area around the two outside. Appears to be an "easier" to view image - cleaner.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...etitCreux6.jpg
  • 09-26-2009, 06:57 AM
    Greg McCary
    I think I like the edit better. One other question. Do you remember your settings? I know the 35mm Voigtlander is a fast lens but how did you manage this with 100 ISO film?
  • 09-26-2009, 07:46 AM
    Tuna
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I think I like the edit better. One other question. Do you remember your settings? I know the 35mm Voigtlander is a fast lens but how did you manage this with 100 ISO film?

One shot at 1/15 and one at 1/30, wide open (f1.7). I believe this is the 1/30 as one of the images showed some shake (though I have been somewhat succesful with shooting at 1/15 using the MP). I shot quite a few night shots that evening and about half came out OK (sharpness wise...) and some of the blurry ones will still look good in the end - as in "Rainy Night" and "Fleeting".

Elbows tucked in to the body, feet seperated at shoulder width, breath in, breath out, pause, click - as you can see it isn't the perfect exposure with parts of the outside being quite dim but it works OK. Though I wouldn't suggest anything slower than 1/60 when there will be any mirror slap.

Tuna
  • 09-27-2009, 02:00 AM
    readingr
    Tuna,

I feel that the photo looses a lot without the woman in orange, it doesn't tie the whole artist, pose, in side, and out, thing for me. It just looses that je ne sais quoi.

Roger R.
  • 09-27-2009, 03:01 AM
    Overbeyond
    I agree with Roger on this. I actually felt that Orange woman fitted snugly into that little triangular space between artist and sketch book.
  • 09-27-2009, 08:18 AM
    gahspidy
    Wonderful scene, Tuna. As sharp and crisp as it would ever need be. Well done. I forget to bring my MP with me lately and really must think about using it more often.
    For me, the scene works well before and after the edit. With the patrons inside removed, we do have a cleaner background for the man outside and that is fine, however we lose the atmosphere that the patrons lend to the entire scene itself. It certainly becomes a different picture. There is more a feeling of energy, life and activity with the original version whereas the edit feels more of a lonely desolate scene on an empty street.
    I think the man stands out well enough as it was, and the added benefit of activity and atmosphere lends more than the slight reduce in clutter in having them removed.
    It is your call, and either way you have a gem of a photograph.
    Always a pleasure.
  • 09-29-2009, 12:41 PM
    Greg McCary
    Congrats on the feature but to be honest all of your pictures could qualify for that honor. The lady does add a dash of color to the image. Like Gary wrote, either way it is a gem.
  • 09-29-2009, 12:45 PM
    OldClicker
    Well earned Feature Photo. - TF
  • 09-29-2009, 06:24 PM
    Tuna
    Everyone - merci.

It is an honor to have been stickied.

Tuna
  • 09-30-2009, 10:03 AM
    draymorton
    I adore this image. No surprise at all that it has become a Sticky.

Shooting info appreciated, too. You answered all of the questions I would have asked and more.
  • 09-30-2009, 04:21 PM
    Hexnut
    Just perfect. This image inspires me to be a better photographer. Thanks for sharing.
  • 10-02-2009, 11:11 PM
    KyRain
    I like Miss Orange included. She adds a breath of life and color. Photography like art and life is always though...apples and oranges. I'd choose an orange w this one. Congrats!