Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: After the Storm

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

After the Storm

Shot this after the snow storm on Sat.

Any and all comments welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails After the Storm-3163-church.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Not Really (Senior Member) ShotsbyScott's Avatar

Re: After the Storm

Looks good Michael! The kind of shots I like to take.

Scott

Excellent shot. The clouds and the blue sky just help this picture sooo much in color and composition! Great shot!

Jared

Very nice mjs. Good comp. Good colour. Good all round.
    Jon

"shoot wide, shoot close"

Nice shot for a post card! Everything looks great, Michael.

Dudley

Yucky yucky SNOW!!!! LOL, JK.

Ok, on to my thoughts. Take them for opinions...nothing more. Sky is beautiful, church is beautiful...I'm thinking it's a little busy; trees, extra landscape that really doesn't seem to be your focus, . I am certain the subject is the church with a nice coorpertive sky as the backdrop. It almost seems as though your horizon is a teeeeensy bit off...but that may be just the lay of the land...so to speak. Your snow is nice and white...but the steeple is glaringly so...could be my laptop (it is ancient), but you seem to have lost a little detail in a lot of the church woodwork.

Did you take any other angles...I hope so (I love angles!). A 3 quarter view...Maybe with fewer trees, a little less of the walkway/access. It seems like such a wonderful subject and sky, not to mention how crisp even at this distance. Oh, the possibilities here...

Thanks for posting.
    Ruh roh...Where am I?

Nice color and comp. It appears as if the church is leaning. correct your verticals and/or perspective.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it's greatly appriciated!

Terry, my first thoughts on this one was that the church was leaning also. When I look at the right side, it appears to be leaning to the left, when I look at the steeple, it appears to be leaning to the right. I don't know how to make one side look straight without exagerating the other side... Any suggestions?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Yep Lots of beer - but seriously

I have played with Photoshop Elements 2 to correct perspective and got into loads of problems. However I have seen it done well. Play with it and see how you get on. I will try it on your pic tonight and see what I can do. If you want me to post the result let me know.

Eager to experiment.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Quote Originally Posted by readingr
    Yep Lots of beer - but seriously

I have played with Photoshop Elements 2 to correct perspective and got into loads of problems. However I have seen it done well. Play with it and see how you get on. I will try it on your pic tonight and see what I can do. If you want me to post the result let me know.

Eager to experiment.

By all means. If you can straighten it out and make it look better, post the results, and an explanation as to what you did to fix it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

The composition is quite good, and I like the weather conditions at that time (blue sky and untouched snow), but this image would twice better if the trees near the church and the forest in the horizont would be covered by snow. Now the black colour spoils the view. That's why sometimes mild wind is better that a storm

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    By all means. If you can straighten it out and make it look better, post the results, and an explanation as to what you did to fix it.
    Here we go - had a few minutes and got this done. Couldn't do anything about the frame.

In Phosotoshop elements you click on Image - Transform - Perspective. This will add a frame to the image which you then drag in the correct direction to adjust the perspective. I then use the selection box to check the verticals just to make sure I got it right.

The image after:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails After the Storm-3163-church-perspective-copy.jpg  
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

The color contrast is nice between the snow and the sky which I like.
    The church steeple has a vertical position issue though and the tree located on the right covers up the beauty of the church but nothing we can do about those things.

I like this photograph.

Great shot!

I love the vibrancy of the colours & the composition of this piece. This picture would've been so much better if those trees weren't there, .
    Having said that & since the trees do exist, I like how the walkway ties the two trees together.

Very nice.

I'm not sure about PSE. In CS go to
    Edit>Transform>Skew
    You can then adjust each corner of the pic.

Thread Information