Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Around the garden

I didn't have much to do today so i just went out into my back garden and had a look what i could find, I took over 100 pictures heres 4 i picked out which i liked. Also all of the pictures i used the manual focus for the first time and i got some good results using it.
    Had my camera about 2 weeks now and im really getting into it.
    Tell me what you think of the pictures.

Callum

Re: Around the garden

Great pics, and good macro usage! My only complaint is in no. 1 your DOF is too shallow and thus the front of the flower is out of focus. Shooting at, for example f/5 will give you the appropriate DOF for this image. You can always mask and lens blur in photoshop.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Callum......#2 and #4 seem a little bit like your focal point is in the wrong place. In #2 the stems in the foreground appear to be a little sharper than the rest of the shot (could be my eyes though), while in #4 the bee is a little out of focus, but not by much.
    Nice captures though. Keep shooting.
    John

I like the photos, but I have to agree with swmdrayfan and fx101 that you have DOF problems. It's hard to see, I would suggest you try using manual focus with you micro photography and Aperture Priority you my have to increase the ISO to keep the shutter speed above 1/100 second and the F stop should be high F11-F16 depending on your lens. Basically the longer the lens the higher the F number needed to get the same DOF
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

I think that composition would help the images more so than DOF.

I don't know what you're using (and how much closer you can go), but all these images feel "too loose". I applaud your use of manual focus but I think you are still relying on your center focus point to confirm your focusing as the subject is too centered on all of them.

If possible, fill the frame more and keep in mind compositional techniques to make the subject (even a small one) have the most impact. Manual focus definitely helps with this as you can have the subject waaay off-center and still hit the focus visually without having to re-shift the compositon.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thread Information