Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Antique Pocket Watch

This is a photo of my 1878 pocket watch. Taken with a Fuji S5100 in Macro mode. Also used a Halo ring light.

Re: Antique Pocket Watch

Interesting shot. Great subject, and way to fill up the whole frame. It seems a tad soft, but it may just be the jpeg compression! Beautiful colors and great shooting,

Jared

Hi Joel,

That is an interesting shot that has a whole lot of potential -- including the use of the ring light. It's a nice document of the inside of your watch.

But, the image seems under exposed, the lid has cast a shadow on the left side, and the background doesn't seem to go. I'd suggest a white surface for a background (or something that works with the antique subject) and playing around with the lighting a bit. I'd also try some artsy shots by shooting at an angle and playing with the DOF. Finally, the image appears soft -- most likely as a result of resizing for the web. But, sharpness is so important for this type of presentation. I'd apply some USM before posting.

I hope this helps. Post back any future images if you work this some more.
    Cheers,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I really like what you are attempting with this shot. I too find the image a tad soft for my liking. For me, it almost feels like the flash, has washed out some of the detail of the watch.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information