Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Grain Elevator Detail

Grain Elevator Detail-dsc0276_1200.jpg

There are certain scenes and subjects that make me think of Greg McCary now. This is one of them. I was thinking of him while I took this, even. I'm really pleased with this image. I love all the tones, the lines and the layers of grime. I can feel the *time* in this photo. The only thing I can think of that might make it better is a person walking through the scene. On the other hand, the empty stillness is also nice. There's a tension there and my mind keeps imagining a person opening or walking past the door.

What do you think?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Grain Elevator Detail

I'm not sure about this one, PJ. You know what it is, because you made the image. I know what it is, because I've worked around these places all my life. Will it have any significant meaning to someone that doesn't know the context, or even the enormity of the facility that dwarf this small portion you captured? The brightness and shine on the upper portion of the dust sock draw my eyes there, and the door remains rather invisible. Now if that door was cracked open a tad, then my eye would want to investigate what is beyond and in that darkness. It is a nice, clean shot, but would also like to see it with a little more side-lighting to create some shadow.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

I don't think I really care what it is, it's more of an abstract industrial image. In that vein I would like to see it with more contrast, deeper shadows, and grime, maybe even some old fashioned film grain.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

almost an abstract , interesting shades and forms , I like the compositions

I would like it in b&W, and play with the light curves to increase the contrast

As has been said the composition is fine but the colours and textures are a little understated for my taste. This may have been your vision for the image, but have you a version where the colours are a bit stronger and the texture and shadows more defined. Often before bursting into print I will try the edits I am about to suggest to see their effect on the image offered for critique, and in this case I felt they helped it pop a bit more. I can post an edit and process if interested.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

I think this is a very smooth abstract. Parts fall inside each other. It has an almost sexual overtone. The photography is technically excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Schaeffer View Post
    I think this is a very smooth abstract. Parts fall inside each other. It has an almost sexual overtone. The photography is technically excellent.
    I hadn't noticed any sexual overtones, Don. But I appreciate your comment. I can see that there's a very sensual, tactile quality to the tones and lines in the image. And yes - the parts fit
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree View Post
    I don't think I really care what it is, it's more of an abstract industrial image. In that vein I would like to see it with more contrast, deeper shadows, and grime, maybe even some old fashioned film grain.
    You're right - it's really an abstract of a recognizable subject. As far as adding film grain, I'm very much a photography purist, EOSThree. I'll optimize images. But unless it's for marketing or something, I never add or remove anything. So it's a no on the film grain for me.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    almost an abstract , interesting shades and forms , I like the compositions

I would like it in b&W, and play with the light curves to increase the contrast
    I like the subtle color, Armando. In fact, I'm always looking for naturally monochromatic images. I dig them
    Photo-John

Edited Image

I don't know if you guys have been checking back to see if I've responded or not. If so, I'm not ignoring you and I did read everyone's comments. Thank you very much for your critiques. Rather than just replying right away, I like to sit on this kind of thing and let it marinate. It's too easy to just give a snappy, negative reply. Especially with a photo like this, which I really liked in the first place.

There were a lot of comments about contrast and some of you mentioned that I may have set it up exactly as I wanted. That's true. The longer I do photography, the more I like subtle. When I was young I loved super high-contrast images. Now, I like tons of tonal range. I like photos I can soak in rather than a photo that punches me in the face. That said, I am listening. And there's lots of different kinds of contrast. Shooting it in different light is certainly possible, although one of the reasons I photographed this is that I liked the light on it that you see here.

In any case, in response to your criticism, I made a new version. You might want to compare them side to side because it's a very subtle difference. Let me know if you like the new one better or if it just feels the same to you. And thanks again for the comments. I think I will go back and photograph this spot again

Grain Elevator Detail-_dsc0276_1200b.jpg
    Photo-John

Re: Edited Image

you added a very subtle s curve... maybe ?

Re: Edited Image

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    you added a very subtle s curve... maybe ?
    I didn't get that sophisticated, Armando. For the first version I made my initial edits in Lightroom and then added a levels adjustment layer in Photoshop. For the new one I just added a second levels adjustment layer and pushed in both end sliders a bit to give it a but more snap on the ends. I think it makes it a quicker read, which I think is what people were looking for. However, I still think the original would hold up well as a larger print, where you really get to look closely at the subtle tones and details.
    Photo-John

Thread Information