Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Another View of My Can

This is another shot of the can I used in my homage to Gary. I like the LBJ on the concrete next to it. I kinda think of this one as all my own as I didn't take this one thinking about Gary, (he is the reason I took the first one). I took this one for the bird, which was a failed idea anyway. But I like this version of it.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated...

John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Re: Another View of My Can

I wasn't sure whether to expect body parts while opening this.
    I like this even better than the other. The eye moves easily back and forth between the can and the bird/concrete. It winds up being well balanced - something I wouldn't have expected with the bw/color combo. Both subjects must be much stronger here than in either all color or all bw versions.

The image has what looks like noise in the background. Since you are practicing with layers get the bg onto one below the subject layers (erase the bg on them) and give it a gausisian blur (not too much) to see how you like that. Here's an example with that done on the left(easy part) 1/3 of the pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another View of My Can-001.jpg  
    ----------------------------

not sure i like the color in the can. b/w has a voice of its own. been a long time since i did b/w (i was much younger and darker in those days)

i think the comp is good and get a feel for what you were after.

experiments, which are always good, are more than what is needed in this case IMO.

as i have asked others, what were you after?

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

When I first saw the title of this thread, I am thinking I don't want to see a pic of your butt..
    ;)
    So thanks for the laugh.

Back to the photo you posted here, I think there is far too much information to tell what the real subject is. Not only that, the can is too dominate, which causes my eye to go to it immeadiately.
    Those are my thoughts, I hope it helps.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Though I like this much more than your other, the can is bugging me with that 'glow' around it. Is it just me...but there seems to be almost a halo around the top of it? Compositionally, I love this, the bird is a great touch!

Nice shot,

Jared

Chunk, lol you had me in stitches. As with Brian, I too was a bit hesitant to open this thread as the title led me to wonder if this was going to be a very personal self portrait
    I think this is an interesting shot with the bird and the wood, but I don't think the can needs to be in color for this as it is not about the can in this shot.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by terryger
    not sure i like the color in the can. b/w has a voice of its own. been a long time since i did b/w (i was much younger and darker in those days)

i think the comp is good and get a feel for what you were after.

experiments, which are always good, are more than what is needed in this case IMO.

as i have asked others, what were you after?
    I was just really paraticing with new techniques I have learned in PS.

Thanks for commenting!
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by jar_e
    Though I like this much more than your other, the can is bugging me with that 'glow' around it. Is it just me...but there seems to be almost a halo around the top of it? Compositionally, I love this, the bird is a great touch!

Nice shot,

Jared
    The glow is a product of the soft focus, as I was focusing on the bird. I tried to control it, but I guess it still shows up quite a bit.

Thanks!
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Chunk, MTB, Gary,

I knew ya'll were gonna' be thinkin' bout my booty....

Thanks for the kind words, I am rethinking the shot at this point. I just really did it cuz I wanted to color the can. Ohwell. As for the noise/grain factor. I just happen to be a huge fan of grainy B&W images. It's just my taste, so you will se it in my work quite a bit. But please don't hesitate to tell me if you think it ain't workin' in a given image.
    John Cowan
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Thread Information