Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

a friend cooking dinner

i didn't intend for it to be this shaky (gotta stop drinking coffee) but it seemed to impart a sense of movement. i was also partial to the bright colors. does it work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a friend cooking dinner-susan_house_rami_cooking_2_lowres.jpg  

Very interesting composition. I like the mystery of no face. The colors are great! When I look at it, it seems you focused on the stripes on the girls pantleg. If you had focused on the flame and used a smaller apperature, it may have been a little better as far as sharpness. The blur of the pan and the wooden spoon work for the motion. Good image in my opinion.
    Lou

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." -Ansel Adams

Stew

I can see why you were drawn to the colors in this image. I especially like the contrast between the wall, stove and shadow. I also like the repeated rectangles in the print, shadow, and stove. My problem is the business in the image. I am unsure what the subject is or isn't. I might try to remove parts that are unnecessary. Personally I would remove the grader and one of the pans. I would also move the bottles of oil to either show more of them or not at all. I like the movement and wonder if more (just from the one cooking) would add/subtract. Last thought, does the image feel like it's leaning from left to right? Good eye for contrast.

Phil

Ps I like how well the photograph above the stove compliments the color in the wall. I also think that is an interesting place for an image.

Phil, after your comment i noticed that the flower picture was indeed not quite straight. good eye! i rotated the picture 0.75 deg to the left to fix this and repost below. what drew me to take a pic of this scene (the dinner was delicious by the way!) was indeed the complimentary colors of the wall and the flower, as you also noticed. and i've always been fascinated with the blue flame of a gas stove...

thanks for both your and Lou's comments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a friend cooking dinner-susan_house_rami_cooking_2_lowres.jpg  

Thread Information