Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: ice at sunset

ice at sunset

taken within a few minutes of the dock photo, if i remember correctly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ice at sunset-river_ice_altered_lowres.jpg  

I had to scroll up and down to see the whole image so it is hard for me to comment on the image as a whole. The bottom half almost looks like a cross-section of a cliff or some geological specimen. The textures and horizontal lines are intriguing. The top half of the picture adds depth with the sun and log and could be a picture in itself. You might try cropping it in half to produce two separate but interesting images.

Corey

smaller pic

Quote Originally Posted by cfarrell
    I had to scroll up and down to see the whole image so it is hard for me to comment on the image as a whole. The bottom half almost looks like a cross-section of a cliff or some geological specimen. The textures and horizontal lines are intriguing. The top half of the picture adds depth with the sun and log and could be a picture in itself. You might try cropping it in half to produce two separate but interesting images.

Corey
    oops, didn't realize it was too big for the screen until now. thanks. i'm attaching a re-sized version here. yes, i also liked the different textures, and also the subtle gradations in color: blues, purples, greens are some of my favorite colors in general. this shot just happened to have them all

i took your idea of two separate pics and tried and upper half and lower half version. it was an interesting idea you had - thanks! - but after experimenting a little i thought only the upper half part worked as a standalone picture. i'm posting my version of that here as well. thanks again for your input!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ice at sunset-river_ice_altered_upperhalf_lowres.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Personally I don't care for the log near the top, it doesn't seem to add to the shot. If you cropped just below that, you'd have three roughly equal thirds, each a different color and texture of water and ice. I think that's a stronger shot.

Like the upper half

Stew - I like the cropped version of the upper third of the photo. I think it focuses the image a bit more than the larger version - which contains a lot of interesting points competing for my attention.

Corey

I too like the cropped version of the upper half. I think it's a little out of focus though. It appears in the original version you focused on the water. If you had used a smaller f stop and gotten some more DOF it may have improved all the images. I do like all the subtle textures and tones.
    Lou

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." -Ansel Adams

Thread Information