Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Light through trees, Cook Forest

I took this in color but changed it to B&W in PSP. Canon EOS5, Sigma 28-105, f 2.8-4. I don't remember the settings.

Lou

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." -Ansel Adams

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    Like a scene from a Steven King movie.Brilliant that you got the exposures right with that amount of light coming down.
    Bobby

great shot Lou! obviously the sun coming thru the trees and splitting off into different beams is a wonderful look. and the kids are oblivious to you which is wonderful. great job! i see how it has could be seen in a Stephen King-esque manner, but personally i see only the joy of kids playing in the snow instead of a foreboding scene.

Good shot. I like B&W, anyway...in a shot like this there are not enough colors to give a vivid picture.

Chris

I like this one too, Lou. I see the kids playing in the snow unaware of the great power peeking in on them.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Good catch, maybe try playing with contrast or levels a bit, I think it could use a bit blacker black to give the image even more punch.
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

It is a great capture...I agree that it needs a bit more oomph on the contrast and a smidge of sharpening...give it that extra punch that makes a good shot a great shot...good eye
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

You've created a really "eerie" mood with this shot. It's almost as if we're looking at ghosts playing in the forest, or looking back in time (in BW)... or something. The image definitely gets my attention and makes me wonder what it's about (which is what good photos do IMO). If you can boost the print size without a lot of grain issues (you can try different conversion methods in Photoshop using the Blue Channel and such), this would make a cool "half-size" poster or large calendar shot IMO.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Like it. The other you posted is a bit snapshotty, but this is original and memorable. Good one.

Thread Information