Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Hidden Creek

Hidden Creek

There's running water under there, snaking its way through the valley. I took this one on an overcast day of xc skiing. The light was flat, and it was snowing lightly. I didn't get the grand scenics I was hoping for, but thought this shot wasn't bad. Taken with my Canon A40, handheld. I tried converting to b&w since it's so monochromatic, but I need to go through those "how to conver to black and white" tutorials - it was a lousy effort on my part, looked so flat. Oh well, I like the color version.

Please critique. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hidden Creek-snaky-snow-pillows-1s.jpg  

tried BW...I like color

I liked it even before BW )

it looks like a BW but it isn't and I think that's the appeal to me...I like the angle you shot it from with the little tree in the foreground and those HUGE billowy mounds of snow it's just makes the tree skyline that much grander...only nitpik is I wish I could see a smidge more sky and a little less off the left....

you get some of the most amazing opportunities to catch those things us city folk
    can't
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

I like this in color, simply because it has a monochrome look to it, with just a hint of some tones. Great composition, and the blue/gray/white look to all that snow makes it look....cold. Good one, Spike.

Talking What he said!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    I like this in color, simply because it has a monochrome look to it, with just a hint of some tones. Great composition, and the blue/gray/white look to all that snow makes it look....cold. Good one, Spike.
    I'm with Charles! Just the "hint" of blue in the sky is the only clue that this is even color! I like the lines and the fact that you cut the tree line to emphasize the creek/crik/stream. It draws me to the sky...and THAT'S where I realize it isn't a b/w shot.

more...

tanya
    Every artist was first an amateur. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Like, zoinks! - Shaggy

Thread Information