Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Hole in the Floor of Heaven

I like some elements of this image, but am afraid the bright spot is too distracting and blowen out in this photo. I like the dramatic effect of the sky and silhouettes on the horizon. What are your ideas about this image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hole in the Floor of Heaven-hole-floor-heaven.jpg  

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    I like it.These are so hard to capture, you dont always end up with what you saw at the time, this one is powerful, full of drama.
    Bobby

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    I think you have a very nice image here and the name suits it perfectly. It does look like a hole in heaven... the light is very distracting, but I think it should be, as it is the main focus of the picture. My eyes are directed to the light first of all and then they follow the beams that filter down through the clouds. This image is very dramatic and in my opinion, nicely done.

Exposure

Yes, the "hole" is blown out, but I think that is OK. Others may disagree. What bothers me is that I feel you should have framed it a bit more to the left. I mean so the hole is not cropped on the left edge, and there would a little be less darkness on the right side of the photo. It looks unbalanced to me as-is. Very dramatic though.

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    I like some elements of this image, but am afraid the bright spot is too distracting and blowen out in this photo. I like the dramatic effect of the sky and silhouettes on the horizon. What are your ideas about this image.

You have really captured a dramatic natural image and is one for the collection. Great shot. If anything I would say that I wish I could see a tad more of the land detail, get more of a feeling for the depth. Possibly a half stop more exposure would do it and still keep the silhouettes in the horizon. Great shot OT
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information