Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

Lightbulb Aloha Tower Marketplace B&W

Aloha!

trying this resizing thing again, ( hopefully this one won't be pixelly )

Let me know what you think.....
    can you see the pixels?
    it may be my new flat screen too, images look different on it, shouldn't it be better though? hm.

Mahalo !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aloha Tower Marketplace B&W-aloha-tower-marketplace-b-w.jpg  
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Very cool shot! I love the contrast, it's very dramatic. Also very well composed and full of interesting little scenes. You probably could have lightened up the area under the sign, but overall a great effort. Congrats!
    Peer through the scope with an amoral code...
    -Naked Raygun

*Arctirus helps old ladies INTO traffic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmadcow/

Quote Originally Posted by McMadCow
    Very cool shot! I love the contrast, it's very dramatic. Also very well composed and full of interesting little scenes. You probably could have lightened up the area under the sign, but overall a great effort. Congrats!
    Thanks So much for taking the time to comment, it is true that the bottom is very "shadowy" The only software i have at my disposal is one that lightens/darkens the whole picture at once, but will do this when i get PS. thanks!
    Rachel

Just a suggestion for those among us who are less financially endowed... I use JASC Paint Shop Pro. At about 1/7th the price of photoshop, it has been great for me so far. It doesn't have quite as many tools for adding transforming effects, but for touching up and for minor alterations, it's been great.
    Peer through the scope with an amoral code...
    -Naked Raygun

*Arctirus helps old ladies INTO traffic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmadcow/

Quote Originally Posted by McMadCow
    Just a suggestion for those among us who are less financially endowed... I use JASC Paint Shop Pro. At about 1/7th the price of photoshop, it has been great for me so far. It doesn't have quite as many tools for adding transforming effects, but for touching up and for minor alterations, it's been great.
    What exactly is "transforming" effects? Do you mean getting rid of say.....phone lines, copy and paste capabilities? will try to make it out to Fry's Electronics this weekend and check it out. (i'm writing it down right now! )
    Rachel

Rachel...

Well I'm back from the movies ( open water ) and came to see your posts.Well this one is excellent. It's very Art Deco looking and I think the b & w does it justice. There is a triangle piece of building popping out of the upper right corner that is a little distracting from the scene. Also behind the palm tree. When I looked at this, my first impression was that it was crooked, so I straightened it in photoshop and yes it did look good, but didn't have the feel that yours has, so it's your call on that. Things I think it needs? Lightening in the lower area, sharpening, a little contrast. All those are no big deal, it's the shot that counts. I think it's funky.
    ~ Kit

I like the composition here as well. Good shot. Yes, the area under the sign is too dark, but could be from the quality of the scan?. I too, at the present use Jasc paint shop pro8 as is the best bang for the buck out there . About $50.00 and great .
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Rachel
    Awesome composition. I love the deco feel of this. Yes, it is a little dark under the sign area, but over all, a great shot!!

Aloha!
    VillenaDeCorte
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    Well I'm back from the movies ( open water ) and came to see your posts.Well this one is excellent. It's very Art Deco looking and I think the b & w does it justice. There is a triangle piece of building popping out of the upper right corner that is a little distracting from the scene. Also behind the palm tree. When I looked at this, my first impression was that it was crooked, so I straightened it in photoshop and yes it did look good, but didn't have the feel that yours has, so it's your call on that. Things I think it needs? Lightening in the lower area, sharpening, a little contrast. All those are no big deal, it's the shot that counts. I think it's funky.
    ~ Kit
    shesells, Thanks for your input, I had noticed the piece at the top right before, but never the one behind the palm on the right side ! Thanks for pointing that out. It seems to come from nowhere! oh, and funky is good! thanks!
    Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    I like the composition here as well. Good shot. Yes, the area under the sign is too dark, but could be from the quality of the scan?. I too, at the present use Jasc paint shop pro8 as is the best bang for the buck out there . About $50.00 and great .
    Gahspidy, I was unsure at what settings to scan my prints at ( not so lucky to be digital, yet) I scanned most at 300 DPI, some at 150 DPI, this one i believe is 300... and saved it as High Compression.... I don't know if that was the best route or not ! ? Never got over to look at JASC, but so far, its looking good!
    Rachel

Thread Information