Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    West Coast Ninja christopher_platt's Avatar

My first critique post. . .go easy on me. . .

Hey all-
    This is a shot of Whaler's cove @ Point Lobos (3 miles south of Carmel, CA). It's three shots with a D70 stitched together in Photoshop. I'm a photoshop newbie, so be easy on me. Any suggestions, etc. would be appreciated. On the whole, though, I like it.
    Thanks,
    Chip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first critique post. . .go easy on me. . .-ptlobos1.jpg  

Hi Chip, I'll go as easy as I can.

I really like where you're going with this photo, it has a nice feel to it and the clouds really help add to it. There are a couple of little niggles though, one the tree to the left is a bit distracting for me, and I would really like to see just the edge of land at the bottom so it doesn't look like the water is going to pour right out.

West Coast Ninja christopher_platt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyra
    Hi Chip, I'll go as easy as I can.

I really like where you're going with this photo, it has a nice feel to it and the clouds really help add to it. There are a couple of little niggles though, one the tree to the left is a bit distracting for me, and I would really like to see just the edge of land at the bottom so it doesn't look like the water is going to pour right out.
    Lyra-
    Thanks for the input. I think you're right, I'm going to remove the tree (which is perfect since I have to make it 12 by 36 to fit in its frame. I think you're right about the water looking like it's gonna pour out, too, but unfortunately that's a parking lot right outside the frame. I already cloned out about 8 cars along the bottom where all those rocks are.
    But it's only about 20 minutes from here, so hopefully I should be able to get back there again before the beginning of the semester.
    Thanks again,
    Chip

Hello,
    Hey, for a first post, this is very good... which my first was like that !!... The tree on the left is not really bothering me... what is not that great is that it seems the lake is not flat, it seems to curve where I am guessing, the middle picture is the lowest point. It is probably just light. Did you use a tripod/monopod to do this, or was it hand held? I would have used less sky as well, just because the horizon seems to me too centered.
    I like the colours, and the idea though very much. If it is possible, go shoot the same picture again in different lights, and experiment with that.
    Opinions I got lots, expertise none!! Hmm… except for giving opinions!!

Is your horizon off kilter? On the left, those moutain thingys look tilted.

Nice job with the ps stitching. I've been wanting to try that, but don't really have anything to do it on.

adina
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Thread Information