Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: White balance

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

White balance

As shot, or optimised for snow?
    It makes a huge difference, taking out the harsh orange sodium light.
    But what is "right" and which is best?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails White balance-_10400761.jpg   White balance-_10400762.jpg  
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Re: White balance

PAul, I took the top one and knocked down the saturation by 30 and think it is something you might look at. It needs some of the orange gone but it looks to me like something just isn't right in the second photo with that much taken out. I think it is more of toning down the orange more than removing it, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Each has its own appeal. Which one depends on which appeals to you or do more editing as suggested by Jeff.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Paul, assuming you have Photoshop, try this: Open the original image, then go to Image> Duplicate to make a duplicate of the image. On the duplicate, go to Filter> Blur> Average (the only use I found for this particular filter to date). Switch back to the original image by clicking on it, then do a Levels command. Click on the middle eyedropper in the Levels dialog box (set greypoint), then click on the color in the duplicate image.

The result is very similar to your second image, with a few minor differences. The orange in the streetlight is deeper at the light itself, but dissipates quickly as you get farther out. In particular, the play of orange light off the snow in the street is more noticeable, but the orange dissipates off the trees as you get into the foreground.

Also, the blue haze around the car's headlights is more diminished, and the image as a whole is a bit more contrasty.

I'll be happy to post the result if you'd like.

- Joe U.
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    PAul, I took the top one and knocked down the saturation by 30 and think it is something you might look at. It needs some of the orange gone but it looks to me like something just isn't right in the second photo with that much taken out. I think it is more of toning down the orange more than removing it, Jeff
    Paul, Jeff hit the nail on the head as i'm concerned. I agree that trying to remove the orange cast later just creates a sort of dilema in that you still have the orange emanating from the light but then its gone and nowhere to be seen. then, you have the cars headlights become a strong blue from the compensation.
    I would go about it, as i usually do anyway, by slightly cooling the original image and then reducing its overall vibrancy or saturation by about 20-30 as Jeff .
    I do like some warm glow there, but not so much and certainly not entirely removed as in the edit.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Thanks, Joe.
    You're taking me into new realms I've not tried in PS yet
    Gary, I'm going to try your idea and see how it looks.
    You've given me an idea I can try in Lightroom as well as in PS.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Being an electrician, I went to a lighting school several years ago and HP sodiums was once the trend. But most don't like the orange cast. Mostly places like Wal-Mart and other stores are going for the metal halides which are bright white. It makes their customers also feel safer with the brighter light. Put two stores together one with sodiums and one with metal halides more customers stop with the halide lighting. With all of that said I always adjust the orange cast out. Even though it is not true to life. If memory serves me the sodiums have a much longer life span. So the electrical companies prefer them.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

You can't white balance with only HP or LP sodium lighting. There is not any other light to due a good white balance. You end up with the second image where the white light looks like arc lamps (too much blue).
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information