armando_m
    Addicted
    A ballerina jump

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2916/...95daa14d_o.jpg

A reminder why I'm still addicted to photography
  • 06-08-2014, 03:34 PM
    Lava Lamp
    Re: Addicted
    Excellent. I wonder if the bit of floor helps keep perspective, or if it would be better trimmed out. I tend to think the latter.
  • 06-08-2014, 06:56 PM
    armando_m
    yes I left the floor to have a reference how high she was, but removing it is also a good option

Thanks for commenting
  • 06-09-2014, 10:08 AM
    mattb
    Nice catch! I think either leaving more floor if possible for perspective or removing it might make this better. That being said it's very nice already!
  • 06-09-2014, 06:09 PM
    armando_m
    Thanks, here is a version with no floor

http://armando-m.smugmug.com/People/...dit-Edit-L.jpg
  • 06-09-2014, 08:01 PM
    GB1
    Strangely (?) I think the floor adds something to the photograph, which is what I've heard someplace before.. art class, photo shoot, wherever, that it's good to 'place' a subject. Very good sharpness but not sure how her legs are so white compared to her upper body; are those stockings? I almost want them to be a full color like red, blue, etc. Again, incredibly sharp ..
  • 06-10-2014, 06:20 AM
    armando_m
    Thanks Greg, yes those are stockings

when comparing both images, yes I think the one with the floor, small as it may be in the frame adds a reference

I relied heavily on technology to get the shot:
    AF-C trigger only if in focus
    1/1000
    iso 800
    f4.5, wide open, corners are crappy but since I'm using the central focus point ;)
    VR OFF
    nikon 24-85 AFS
    Heavily cropped aprox 6 or the whole 36 mp from the original, I had to shoot wide as I'm never sure how big they will get once they jump and really hate to get a clipped limb.

here is a bigger version if you'll like to see it CLICK to see photo in smugmug
    you may see some sloppy PP over her front foot

About the sharpness this is what I did during PP:
    converted to TIF in LR , camera neutral, detail setting to 75, 0.5, 75 , 50, NR is off, crop, adjusted contrast, saturation, etc
    resized for the web in PS, I'm using bilinear resampling , this left some hard edges that didn't look good, so I added a gaussian blur at the end 0.5 pixels , added a mask and reduced intensity on her eyes, and shoes.
    exported as jpg sRGB from LR to add a watermark, no sharpening or resizing
  • 06-16-2014, 07:28 PM
    arne saknussen
    Super nice shot. The lighting and sharpness are very impressive. I say absolutely no floor. With the floor included, it looks as though she is really not that high.
  • 06-22-2014, 04:52 AM
    Gooosberry
    what makes the shot for me is the separation you have achieved between the black costume and black background! The floor IMHO needs to be a little more if it is in, I think I prefer your edit!
  • 06-22-2014, 10:06 PM
    mattb
    Looking again I agree it's better with the floor. Great shot!
  • 06-23-2014, 06:49 AM
    armando_m
    Thanks Arne, Goosberry and Mattb