Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Abstract "land"scape - Fine art shot of sorts

An abstract shot.... Other than what is it???--- could you please share

What do you think of it aesthetically as far as the lines, comp lighting, grain and overall feel.
    too weird, just enough , not enough going on-etc

It may be hard to see what I see but I thought I'd post it for a critiques because I just think there's an oddness and feeling I really liked about the final product...

I will post the specs later....

Please
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Hey Natalie,
    I think the varying degrees of contrast and the soft flowing lines making this an interesting abstract.I think the varying and subtle changes in shadow and lighting make this appealing
    I am guessing that this is a person laying on a bed or sheet, like just the arm and part of the hand and some hip area. . .not important though. what is important is that it has one wondering and trying to make out and interpret and because of this and my other points,it works for me.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Glad

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Hey Natalie,
    I think the varying degrees of contrast and the soft flowing lines making this an interesting abstract.I think the varying and subtle changes in shadow and lighting make this appealing
    I am guessing that this is a person laying on a bed or sheet, like just the arm and part of the hand and some hip area. . .not important though. what is important is that it has one wondering and trying to make out and interpret and because of this and my other points,it works for me.
    your eyes interpreted it in the same way that made me like it...the lighting was a candle which created variations in shadowing as the flame flickered....which just created a really fun light source since no pic was predictable
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Natalie, for me photography is about impact, the impact the moment I look at an image for the very first time. Those first seconds are the most important ones to me. Sadly enough, this image didnt have that impact, not for me at least.

The image does become more interesting when I look at it more than just these few seconds and then I start to wonder if I do like it or not. At such a moment I have to pull the brake, because it feels like I'm 'digging' too much, something I try to avoid with photographs. This is also the kind of photo for which I don't have a clear comment or advice. I think people just like it or not.

Thanks for sharing Natalie

Wings,
    I think i sunscribe to the way you view photographs...at first glance I wasn't quite sure---the more I looked at it the more I like it...

So I appreciate your input on how it hit you (or rather didn't )

I think that's what I posted-- although input here has been the slowest I've probably ever seen it I figured some input would be good sinc ethere are such a variety of people and tastes here.

Thanks again
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar
    Nat - I'm the opposite of wings - I love photos that grow on you as you look at them. So, what do I like about this one:

1. The texture difference you got between the shoulder,wrist and folds of the thumb, and the fabric(?) in the background. One seem so soft and buttery and the other rough.

2. The lighting that denotes the two textures.

3. At first glance it looks like one of the many shots of the sweeping dunes of the desert, but then you see the tiny hairs and realize it's just not what you thought.

I really like it. It gives the feeling of those old moonscapes from the 60's.
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    And i am different again from those guys! I look at the pic first then try to visualise the work that went into it.I try to "see" what they saw and then look closely to dind a comment, one way or the other.As always Nat is miles ahead of the rest of us when it comes to seeing or creating a wothwhile pic.This time i feel it is below your usual high standard. Then thats the price for being one of the best on this site.

Yes I Do

No comment other than to say, "Yes I do like it." Sometimes that's enough.

Penny said it looked like a moonscape LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ACArmstrong

3. At first glance it looks like one of the many shots of the sweeping dunes of the desert, but then you see the tiny hairs and realize it's just not what you thought.

I really like it. It gives the feeling of those old moonscapes from the 60's.
    I was really excited that you saw the same things that i saw that really made this grow on me---again I usually tend to prefer the shots have an impact on me relatively soon...but maybe a slow liking is what keeps me experimenting and keeping things fresh...

It's funny I keep trying new things to find a stylized look of sorts but I'm realizing maybe THAT is my style... not too much the same too often

Thnaks for your input and how thouroughly you explained your critique
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thnaks Friend

Quote Originally Posted by bobbythebandit
    As always Nat is miles ahead of the rest of us when it comes to seeing or creating a wothwhile pic.This time i feel it is below your usual high standard. Then thats the price for being one of the best on this site.
    Your words are way too kind....but I appreciate them and you for them. That has to be the nicest way of telling someone their shot bites a bit you are a charmer and your wife is lucky to have one so good with his words. This was a definite stretch from my usual attempts and maybe I'll (at some point---provided I don't grow tired of it- like most things) I may continue this out at some point or another...I had others that lacked a bit of something....something but what exactly I'm not sure.

IThanks again for your kind words and thanks for taking the time to post---how have you been? drop me a line.
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

you made me laugh

Maybe for different reasons...but it was worth mentioning my husband's response when I first showed him was and I qoute---

" what is it of ?" ---then a blush and then--- "Oh I LIKE it...as far as comments--I won't share those with you sweetheart" LOL

Thnaks for posting your thoughts...they were well received ;)

BTW we will be planning (at some point this year we hope) a trip to Loiusville---hope you and your wife are available to get together for lunch ordinner and shooting....

Take care
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

I'm back and forth

I like it, then I'm not so sure, then I like it again.

I like the range of tones, and I like the lines. Then I'd like to see it a little sharper, with less grainy-ness. Then I like the softness.

Hard to say...

adina

For me, it's kind of hard to get into. I feel like I do at art museums - I tend to like the old masters and realists and stay away from the abstracts.

I'm stuck, though, by how many different things you try. You've got a good photographic imagination.

I hope that....

BTW we will be planning (at some point this year we hope) a trip to Loiusville---hope you and your wife are available to get together for lunch ordinner and shooting....
    Take care[/QUOTE]

I hope that will work out. Louisville is a short trip for us and with my son living there we are just looking for excuses to drop in. I had mentioned it to my wife and told her she would have to start brushing up on her photograph so she could join in the fun. She seem to like the idea. Let me know what your plans are.

thanks

i love to try anything new once or twice (so long as it's legal )
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Thread Information