Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Bloodmoon

Bloodmoon

Last night the moon was covered in a deep red haze that made it look like it was bleeding - weirdest thing I'd ever seen! I took pics but with the slower shutter speed and 6.3 av it was lighter than reality, but everything else was as red as it looked...

Camera Model Name
    Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
    Shooting Date/Time
    7/25/2005 11:25:36 PM
    Tv( Shutter Speed )
    Av( Aperture Value )
    ISO Speed
    Image Size
    3013x1895
    Flash
    Off
    File Size
    2371KB
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Re: Bloodmoon

Janie,

I really like the colour in the top photo, but I have a question, how did you get the dark red halo around the moon? I like the way the lights on the horizon help to define the horizon and the reflection of the moon on the sea is wonderful.

The others are really good especially the middle with the groyne (Assumption) pointing the shore line with what looks like a lovely suspension bridge lit up.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

The bridge is the Verrizano bridge - that is the view from the beach by my house, and actuallly what i see from my office window at home!

The red halo i think just came out weird because there were misty clouds with a dark red haze and since I shot at such a slow speed and the clouds were moving against the bright moon, i guess it just produced a halo instead of how it looked to me - it looked like the moon was bleeding last night. I shot this around midnite. I wonder if it was the humidity and yellow lights from nyc & atlantic highlands harbor that made the clouds look so red? I just thought it was bizarre and had to shoot it! I am a moon child after all!
    http://janehaas.com

"Art is part of a rebellion against the realities of unfulfilled desire." ~Emma Goldman
    Member:

Envy - living right next to the beach with a view like that -

I must retire from IT and move to the coast.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information