Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

B&W Covered Bridge

This was shot on a VERY cold winter day in southern North Carolina 2003.

mamiya M645
    t-max 100
    developed in tmax
    scanned with epson 3170

Please commment on how I could have framed this shot better!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B&W Covered Bridge-covered-bridge-nc.jpg  

I think the framing is actually pretty good. You've played off the curvature of the road and have not brought too much of the tree tops into the shot. It's also important to keep the main subject off-center a bit and you've done that as well.

I will say it's probably a little out of focus (although scanning with a consumer-grade device could be the cause of the evergreen bushes appearing blurry). Beyond that you need to correct the perspective a bit. The bridge and road are falling away to the right. Even if that's the way it really is, you can easily straighten them without messing up the trees, since it's only a slight tilt.

Fix those minor items and you've got a great shot.
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Philmont Ranger
    My only thoughts are to level it off and that it looks like the focus is at the bend in the road and not the bridge. That may just be my worn down eyes, though. Like the sun/shade pattern on the road, it adds good depth.
    Steve Braunlich
    IWTGBTP
    <a href="http://people.wm.edu/sabrau">Probably 3 dozen of my best photos are placed here</a>

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

It works...

As I recall, this is your "life project"? Yes?
    I think the framing is good. It's offset a little and not right smack in the middle of the frame.
    Although you might be able to crop the right a bit, because the stumps or rocks seem to be a bit much.
    You couldn't have asked for better placement and curve of the road. It takes your eye right to the bridge.
    I would really have to see a print of this image, rather than on the computer to fully appreciate this.
    I hope to see more!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    As I recall, this is your "life project"? Yes?
    I think the framing is good. It's offset a little and not right smack in the middle of the frame.
    Although you might be able to crop the right a bit, because the stumps or rocks seem to be a bit much.
    You couldn't have asked for better placement and curve of the road. It takes your eye right to the bridge.
    I would really have to see a print of this image, rather than on the computer to fully appreciate this.
    I hope to see more!
    Brian
    Hi, no this is not my life project, you have confused me with another. Thanks for the comments, I am planning to print this soon.

Best regards

Thread Information