Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Abandoned

GB1

Abandoned

... in West Texas.

Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Abandoned

wonderful black and white tones. the subject doesn't speak to me nor can i place a period or location. great location to bring a model though.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

GB1

Hmm. A model would have been nice. Too bad I didn't think of it, could have hired one in El Paso.

Funny, but these old bldgs do speak to me, though not in English .. not sure what they're saying,.. Maybe "Knock me down. You're better off that way!" or, "There was once an incredible civilization here 10 million years ago... up to you to figure it out. Call your archeologists."

Just messing around, but I think a color expt would work here. This is by no means anything more than a 2 minute goof around, but ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Abandoned-dsc_1448_edit1_odd_8000.jpg  

My Site

I like the tones here in b&w. It has that and the attractive old ruin going for it. My only suggestions are remove the poles, crop from frame left to remove object peeking in and crop from right up to door. Also then crop a bit off top to then bring more of the goods here to fill the frame since the sky is empty.
    The tones and the old ruin are great.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I agree with Gary's critique. This would also be awesome as a B&W quadtone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Abandoned-gb_edit1_bw_1000.jpg  
    Last edited by jetrim; 05-18-2011 at 08:05 PM.

GB1

Gary, Jet,

Thanks. I personally see something here, .............the building standing out against the background in a surreal way. I sort of know how I want it to look - I think - but I can't easily get it there. Something to continue to work on.

I like your ideas Gary, and I also like the edit Jim. I see a bit of distortion, but what can you do when you don't have the original to work with?

I took a stab at another edit. Gary, here's the pure B&W based on your suggestions. I think the image looks a little plain (?), so I threw in an edit. Weird, I know... Just kickin' things around (which took me over an hr to do, all that kicking ...)

What do you guys think of this artist's work? This image may work with his style: http://www.vanscoyphotography.com/

GB

My Site

Wink Re: Abandoned

Really interesting (and fairly complex) processing he has! He seems to use color overlays to even the palette out then a series of 3 to 4 different vignette techniques built on top of each other. All his overlays are variations of blue/gold horizontal stripes and he seems to use the same 4 over and over (this leads to a very consistent feel from image to image through his gallery - except his very last 2 "newest works"). Here's my best shot at replicating the style. If you like it, I'll post a screenshot of the layers used to create this effect.

[this would be much easier to do with the original color version - colorization was "best guess" based on tonality of B&W]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Abandoned-gb_viscovy_bw_1000.jpg  

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by jetrim View Post
    Really interesting (and fairly complex) processing he has! He seems to use color overlays to even the palette out then a series of 3 to 4 different vignette techniques built on top of each other. All his overlays are variations of blue/gold horizontal stripes and he seems to use the same 4 over and over (this leads to a very consistent feel from image to image through his gallery - except his very last 2 "newest works"). Here's my best shot at replicating the style. If you like it, I'll post a screenshot of the layers used to create this effect.

[this would be much easier to do with the original color version - colorization was "best guess" based on tonality of B&W]
    Jet - Looks really good to me The only part that think still needs work is the green grassy area, which is probably too light a shade of green here, but the sky is awesome IMO, and the middle area too. Great analysis on how he did this... I wouldn't steal others' techniques, but I am always interested in how artists do things as it sparks my own creative thought processes.

Btw I bought one of this fellow's pieces of work many years ago, but back then he hand colored them using (to me) a very complicated process. About four years ago or so he went digital .. looks similar, but I still like the hand-colored work better. He said that it was liberating to move out of that to another area for a change. And, he had problems where the piece he sent his clients would not 100% match what they saw, as every one was slightly different (he only drove a small number of works to the shows in his van, then mailed a version to the customer once home in Oregon), and that generated a few complaints.

G

My Site

Thread Information