Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Aalia 3

GB1

Aalia 3

C&Cs welcome.

GB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aalia 3-dsc_1992_edit1_pp_bck1_800.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Aalia 3

Excellent pose, she's really good and knows how to give the camera the soft look as if you caught her at the same moment she realized the camera's presence.
    I see that you worked on the image already from the areas of the hair above the shoulder as well as the "missing" edges of the hat. I also think that her skin tone got a lot of yellow.
    I worked on her face but couldn't fix the hair neither the hat because I didn't use the original image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aalia 3-girl_kal5.jpg  

GB1

Hey Asmarlak -

I like your edit and darker background. I did pull this one into Fluid Mask and give a cutout a whirl, though I also don't believe it's to the point it needs to be. However, as you will see, here's the original (sort of) and you will notice that the hair and hat edge is already fading out a bit, probably due to the bright background making it hard on the sensor. I think that the Fluid Mask cutout added just a little more blur to those areas - unfortunately, that was just enough to make it look edited.

This one's a tough call on the correct amt of face softness. Yours looks too much, but mine looks too little. Ahhh .. what can you do. :mad2:

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aalia 3-dsc_1992_edit1_pp_800.jpg  

My Site

I like the shot,

PP in my opinion needed to reduce the shadow below her right eye, which Asmarlak did, between your edit and the original I see little difference, but as already mentioned the skin tone got too yellow

She looks younger from this angle than the other ones

And again love the eyes, even if she's wearing contacts

GB, your original post is good. I like the crop and the light is wonderful. The color balance looks off..., too much green. Easy fix. Also increase the exposure overall and its a fine shot. I don't think you need to whiten the eyes as you did...falling a bit on the unatural side.
    Overall, really beautiful portrait of a fine looking woman.

Here I adjusted color balance by removing green a bit on shadow, midtone and high. Reduced some white of the eyes. Smoothed the face slightly with surface blur as it seemed to have some oversharpening applied. Increased overall exposure by about 25

I like the blue sky in the bg. Def better than dark or gray. Gives a feeling of natural environment.

On a side note, it looks like you lost the edge of the brim of the hat where it meets sky. your selection trickled into the hats edge. (just saw that Asmarlak commented on that already)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aalia 3-dsc_1992_edit1_pp_bck1_800.jpg  
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

GB1

Thanks Armando, Gary. I think this goes to show that I need to get better w/ PP! I'm not terrible, but there's certain things that absolutely need to be right for it to look legit. I did sign up for the Photoshop convention this year btw; maybe I'll learn some things.

Hmm, I really don't see a whole lotta difference in the whites of her eyes, but I do see a slight yellow cast to the first post. Gary, you see green, I know... hard to know who's right with slight variations to these color monitors!

I guess she does look younger here. Dang red hoodie ... I wish it was off before we took these. Note that these started as calibration shots before the main shooting started, so I guess she didn't care.

G

My Site

Thread Information