Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Sangria

Sangria

Hello all,
    This is my first post. In this picture I want the eye to be drawn to the glass in the foreground. I'm not sure if the background is too bright. Any comments appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sangria-rimg0977-6.jpg  

Re: Sangria

I do not think the background is too bright, the DOF is really good, and the drink is really sharp

I'll try to make the glass a bit brighter in post processing

EDIt : Welcome to the forum !!

Agree with Armando. A really easy way to do this in post is to use a lasso tool with a very large feathered edge (like 50-75 pixels). select the glass, copy, paste on a new layer and change the blend mode to "screen". the effect will be like adding a light source aimed at the glass.

GB1

Welcome to PR.

I think you skillfully set the correct DOF, and if you crop the image roughly in half, you will see how strong the image is - nicely exposed, sharp, and a relaxing color palette. The violet shirt is just too much to overcome, however - it's so colorful in comparison to the drink area. You could desaturate the background, at least partially, to control that.

Is the drink itself too dark is debatable. As mentioned, I like its density, but I also feel that its strawberries look a little muted. A trick here would be to slightly illuminate just the drink itself. Could be done in the studio w/o too much trouble, but on location I am not sure how you could do that .. Hmm.

I see another shot here: the gal holding up the drink and leaning towards you with a smile, w/ the background blurred. Would be a cool shot!

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for the feedback and the welcome. I'll try the suggestions...just learning PP!

Just wanted to say welcome to PR. I really have nothing to add to all the good advice you got above!
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Quote Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
    A trick here would be to slightly illuminate just the drink itself. Could be done in the studio w/o too much trouble, but on location I am not sure how you could do that .. Hmm.

G
    Actually, it wouldn't be to bad, though it might attract some attention from the other diners :lol: White napkin stuck to the back side of the glass (out of camera view at the edges)

I'm not entirely sure if this is an improvement or not. To me this is on the verge of looking unnatural. Anyway, it's my first Photoshop attempt so....:mad2:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sangria-rimg0977etit3a.jpg  

I see a bit of improvement, nice job, but for me, that lady is just way too close to the carafe. Almost connected to it.

I saw the potential and wanted to give it a try.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sangria-glass_kal2.jpg  

Thanks for the comments and the edit. Very helpful. I totally agree about the face and carafe proximity. My girlfriend (that's her in the picture) often says "you need not focus more on me", but I'm not sure she's talking about photography.

Thread Information