Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

99.9 % Heavy Metal

Hi All,
    What do you think about this shot?
    yoyo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 99.9 % Heavy Metal-langham-jpg.jpg  

Re: 99.9 % Heavy Metal

I like this Yoyo. It is absurdly busy, but effective and the title goes well. i also like your post processing in this image getting it to look like a sketch. . .drawn with charcoal or to that effect. This would work well in a collection of shots of this subject and edit.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyo Szeto
    Hi All,
    What do you think about this shot?
    yoyo
    You certainly give us a lot to think about Yoyo!

I find this shot too busy and overpowering but find the appearence of the shot fascinating. Was this solarized? I like the almost fluid appearence of the the metal. Have you looked at the inverse of this shot? I think I prefer that. There are other scenes within this one that would make less busy but still attractive shots. Here's one I like but there are others (horizontal of the same area, some in the more structual upper part of the frame) I like as well. Although I found the whole frame overwhelming, I still spent al lot of time looking at it so I have to classify it as successful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 99.9 % Heavy Metal-02.jpg  
    ----------------------------

Hi Gary, Long time no see. Hope you are doing well. Thanks for the analysis of the shot and the suggestion.

Hi Chunk, Thanks a lot for the analysis. I used the PS curves (see the attached) to obtain the result. I have also inverted the image. What do you think?

yoyo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 99.9 % Heavy Metal-r0010419.jpg   99.9 % Heavy Metal-langham-2-jpg.jpg  

Whan an innovative use of curves. I think the inverted image is easier for the brain to handle, giving dark shadows where expected.
    ----------------------------

Hi Chunk, The curves technique is from the book "How to cheat in Photoshop".
    yoyo

Thread Information