Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

keepers or the crapper?

Batch of really blurry Jonathan Richman shots from about three years ago. Small club, bad light, slow shutter--you know the drill. The last one is a victim of rear curtain flash, but I liked the man-ray effect.

Tri-x @1600.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails keepers or the crapper?-j404.jpg   keepers or the crapper?-jr05.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: keepers or the crapper?

I'd say keep them if they bring back fond memories for you. But, they don't do anything for me (keep in mind -- that's just me. Others may differ.)
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool
    I'd say keep them if they bring back fond memories for you. But, they don't do anything for me (keep in mind -- that's just me. Others may differ.)
    Tim
    Okay, can you go a little father than, 'they don't do anything for me' because that doesn't tell me anything or help me become a better photographer.

Normally, I do ditch, curse, tear-up, burn my excessively blurry and/ or poorly composed shots--but Iately I've been looking at a lot of low-light club photography and frankly the perfectly still shots look kind of boring.

Hi Kathy,

Ok. I was answering your initial question. But to add on.... I think the concept of a longish B&W exposure in a club is a neat one -- definitely worthy of pursuing. But, I think you'll have to take a lot of images because it's not something you can control. You'll then pull a few out of a stack that do something for you artistically (and maybe that's what you did here).

To me, the three you posted are not bad. In fact the third one is kind of neat to see how the expression morphs. They just to capture me.

If you give a go again (three years ago, right?), post them here. I'd love to see what you come up with.

Also, this is just my personal take. Many here have different tastes. Me, I'm not as interested in abstracts as others. So, just take my comments as one data point. I'm often on the fringe when compared to the group.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool
    Hi Kathy,

Ok. I was answering your initial question. But to add on.... I think the concept of a longish B&W exposure in a club is a neat one -- definitely worthy of pursuing. But, I think you'll have to take a lot of images because it's not something you can control. You'll then pull a few out of a stack that do something for you artistically (and maybe that's what you did here).

To me, the three you posted are not bad. In fact the third one is kind of neat to see how the expression morphs. They just to capture me.

If you give a go again (three years ago, right?), post them here. I'd love to see what you come up with.

Also, this is just my personal take. Many here have different tastes. Me, I'm not as interested in abstracts as others. So, just take my comments as one data point. I'm often on the fringe when compared to the group.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Here ya' go. I took this one of Paul Westerberg two months ago. I was in a better postition, I think I composed it a little better (minimal cropping) and used a faster film. This is by far my favorite concert shot.

Th exposure was long but not so I couldn't hand hold it. The only blur was his hands on the guitar--which I like.

Your most recent shot is much more favourable. Your first few don't work for me, there's too much blur for me and not enough 'randomness' to hold my interest. Your most recently potsed one however is very well done, and a lot better.

Nice black and white work,

Jared

Thread Information