Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Lauterbrunnen Valley

Lauterbrunnen Valley, Switzerland.

Ok, i'm 0/2 now for this years vacation pics! Maybe this one'll fair better than the last two. I took this down to 800px wide, it looks so small on my screen. I did a little manual HDR'ing here. The valley is so deep, that unless shot at noon, one will get some sorta harsh shadow. Your thoughts are appreciated as always.

Sorry, i'm pumping out the threads btw, those that are familiar with me might know that i get quiet for a period then i go nuts for another, i think it all balances out at the end.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Starting to think outside of the box icicle's Avatar

Re: Lauterbrunnen Valley

OH my god, Love this photo, do you mind if I save a copy to my computer?

Look at those faces of the cliffs, Makes me want to climb through my monitor just to scale(climb) them cliffs
    Looks perfect to me.

That's beautiful, well done.

icicle, i don't mind, go ahead and grab it. also, google lauterbrunnen, and the bernese oberland, they're very big on outdoor sports, climbing, hang gliding, paragliding, sky diving, u name it! Infact, i was standing in that valley for about an hour and I saw a few people land on parachutes and helicopters taking them back up. there's also a huge camping ground right there. thanks btw.

lang, thank u
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Havana Cuba Photography

Liban,

I love the scene here and it has a terrific sense of depth.

I personally would crop half of the foreground almost up to the edge of the house on the right.

One other thing I would consider is to clone out the shiny car by the tent which captures the eye once spotted.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Amazing!

How did you get such an even exposure? Did you use a ND grad?

Good job in exposing for the highlights here and bringing back the shadow detail, it seems that is what was done. i like the framing and i actually prefer to leave the foreground grass as the sliver of green adds some dimension here for me.
    Well done, Liban
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Roger, you have such a good eye man. I would have never seen that car. thanks for pointing it out. I really despise cars in the middle of nature shots.

Ray, no, i just bracketed it in Raw +1, and -1, then layered them in photoshop and masked areas quite broadly with a giant soft brush. thank u.

Gary, thanks man.
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

GB1

Hmmmm.

It's a nice shot showing the ruggedness of the Alps and the general hilliness of the landscape. The colors are good, the shot is clear.

Art-wise, it may lean more towards a "I was here" shot rather than fine art. I think this because the bottom grass is too plain, the mountain tops seem somewhat clipped off, and the town area is indeed a tad dark in comparison to the rest of the image. I guess an HDR may have helped, if you could pull it off where it looks normal ...

Another thing is to clone out what seems to be jet trails on the top center-right of the image, but that's easy.

This looks like a nice place, at least in the summer when it isn't too cold.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

GB, thanks for a nice and detailed critique.

Yes, me personally, I'm all about the 'I was here' shots . I love the travel side of photography and if I can entice 1 person to say "I really wanna go there" i think I've achieved my primary goal.

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    This looks like a nice place...
    hmm, do u wanna go there ;)

Yes, the town is too dark. I actually had other frames that the town is well exposed for and when i used that portion of the photo to create a manual HDR'ish shot, it just didn't look too natural. I think the eye expects that area to be darker by analyzing the time of day etc subconsciously and It just didn't seem right when i tried to lighten it up much more.

Thanks man.
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

GB1

I've actually been to Switzerland back in '85 for about a week. Lucerne , Geneva, some other spots .. quite stunning. I have to dig out some old Kodachrome shots I have of it. I had the same issue with the shadows btw . Hard to even that out and we didn't have HDR back then.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Nice. these mountains don't change much, they pretty much remain as u saw them. I didn't have the time to hit lucerne or Geneva on this trip. i was only there for 5 days out of the two weeks to europe. I can only imagine how tough the dodging and burning woulda been for these alps back in those days.
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

Fantastic shot of a beautiful area.
    PP must have been tough.
    Look through a glass eye.
    Give it a few tries.
    Nothing goes right in its time.
    --Tally Hall--

This is an excellent photo! I like the way you have detail throughout the frame. The mountains and the sky both came out very well and that is difficult to accomplish. I do agree about getting rid of the jet trail and after you do that get a nice size print made, put it in a frame with a nice double mat and hang it in some important place in the living room. If you do not have a good location to display it, PM me, and I will send you my shipping address, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice picture and the processing is great.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Snoid and Greg, thanks guys.

Jeff. lol. nice one
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

Thread Information