Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

A Pink and White Flower . . .

I've been trying to get some nice flower images but am finding that lighting can be a tricky thing getting it just as you like. I thought this turned out fine but not completey satisfied with my lighting. Comments and advice appreciated as always . . . Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Single Tulip . .-flowers0304-1503xweb.jpg  
    Last edited by gahspidy; 03-15-2004 at 02:57 PM.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

The lighting on the flower itself is very even and nice, showing some good detail. Possibly a reflector could bounce a bit more light in the dark leaf areas, the lower leaf getting lost in shadow. A slightly different angle would help with the large leaf...as is, it looks like the top has been cut off. A different angle would show that it is simply bending in a different direction. Nice one.

We just can't have nice things... darkrainfall's Avatar
    If I were going to perfect an already pretty picture, I couldn't give any better suggestions than that which has already been stated. The stems and bottom leaf do look like they need a little bit of illumination, but otherwise it is a nice pic.
    What specifically did you not like about the lighting?
    By the way, I'm pretty sure this is not a tulip... It's a type of lily... isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by darkrainfall
    If I were going to perfect an already pretty picture, I couldn't give any better suggestions than that which has already been stated. The stems and bottom leaf do look like they need a little bit of illumination, but otherwise it is a nice pic.
    What specifically did you not like about the lighting?
    By the way, I'm pretty sure this is not a tulip... It's a type of lily... isn't it?
    When I bought the flowers from a stand outside in the city, the sign on the bin said Tulips. But I should know better but didn't give it any thought and kept thinking of it as a tulip. I believe it is a type of Lily as you stated. Thanks for pointing it out.
    The light I thought at first was coming off a bit harsh on the petals, especially the white areas towards the outside areas,but for the most part I think I'm ok with it but would like to go at it again sometime. I like the leaf in the bottom having a shadow on it looking a bit mysterious coming out of the black, but I think I could benefit from a reflector. thanks for your time
    Last edited by gahspidy; 03-15-2004 at 03:17 PM.

gary

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hess
    The lighting on the flower itself is very even and nice, showing some good detail. Possibly a reflector could bounce a bit more light in the dark leaf areas, the lower leaf getting lost in shadow. A slightly different angle would help with the large leaf...as is, it looks like the top has been cut off. A different angle would show that it is simply bending in a different direction. Nice one.
    I agree with you about the larger leaf looking like it is cut off . Not happy with that. Was thinking I could try to fix that in psp8 to have it appear it is fading out into the dark. Thanks for your time

gary

Thread Information