Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

Abstract Building

Went to capture this building on a cloudy day ( I knew there would be lots of Sky in my shot) Didn't get as many clouds as I wanted, they had all moved North by then !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Abstract Building-pr-purple-tower-two-buildings-16.jpg  
    Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

Re: Abstract Building

wow that is quite abstract! in fact i've never seen anything like it, orange and purple buildings. Thats pretty cool, i like it, that purple building interests me, the scene almost looks fake. it reminds me of Dr. Seus, hah. Nice job.

This doesn't look real.
    The shadows are absoloutly phenominal!

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto iCANd
    This doesn't look real.
    The shadows are absoloutly phenominal!
    not real? do you mean the colors or the building itself?
    Rachel

Emo

We have a few buidlings in vegas like this, when i used to take photos when i went there, no one believed that it was real everyone thought it was PS'd But its real...all the Community Colleges look like this in Vegas....EXTREMELY abstract and lovely in its vague being.

That's just wierd. Reminded me straight away of the Simpsons! I like the shot, although I'm having a hard time convincing my brain that it's real...

Quote Originally Posted by Clicker
    Went to capture this building on a cloudy day ( I knew there would be lots of Sky in my shot) Didn't get as many clouds as I wanted, they had all moved North by then !
    Southwestern states are known for their bizarro color schemes you just have to see it to believe it...it has a softness to it that woks well for this shot...I like the place ment of the clouds as they are(even if it was a miss...i would just punch up the saturation a bit(tad) I think it's a great image...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Very Nice. Have you looked at this with with a more saturated sky and whiter clouds?

Great job, Rachel.
    This is really a unique scene and falls into the art deco sort of thing I feel. Great simplicity and colors, framing and composition really good. I am with Chunk here on the brighter blue sky and whiter clouds. I think you could easily do it with some black and white point adjustment. The whole thing would really pop into a surreal image. Great job
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

F-15_Flyer...

Quote Originally Posted by F-15_Flyer
    wow that is quite abstract! in fact i've never seen anything like it, orange and purple buildings. Thats pretty cool, i like it, that purple building interests me, the scene almost looks fake. it reminds me of Dr. Seus, hah. Nice job.
    Sorry, I skipped your post, I must of accidently shot straight to the second post, thinking it was the only one there Thanks for taking a look........It is a really cool building, (They are actually all one Building) The Purple sits atop it on the left side..with all those little cool windows..

Thanks for commenting!
    Rachel

Thanks to all, Your help/opinions really means alot!

Quote Originally Posted by Emo
    all the Community Colleges look like this in Vegas....EXTREMELY abstract and lovely in its vague being.
    Emo, Funny, this one is the "Latin Cultural Center" Very cool colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hindey
    That's just wierd. Reminded me straight away of the Simpsons! I like the shot, although I'm having a hard time convincing my brain that it's real....
    lol... I think thats why I left the door in and the little light thingies.. to give it some realism ( even though it IS real!) also, some scale.

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    Southwestern states are known for their bizarro color schemes you just have to see it to believe it...it has a softness to it that woks well for this shot...I like the place ment of the clouds as they are(even if it was a miss...i would just punch up the saturation a bit(tad) I think it's a great image....
    Natalie.. yes, Kinda that Adobe feel to this building, which is very Southwestern, But also this town (Dallas) is full of very "artsy" architechure and art ( statues etc) I think the "adobe" ish stuff is what makes it feel soft... ? I will give it a go on the saturation..

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    Very Nice. Have you looked at this with with a more saturated sky and whiter clouds?
    Thanks Chunk! I played with the color of the sky a bit, but didn't get it the way I wanted it, so i thought I'd post and see what you guys/ gals thought... Two votes for More Saturation.. I will try it tonight when I get home..
    Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Great job, Rachel.
    This is really a unique scene and falls into the art deco sort of thing I feel. Great simplicity and colors, framing and composition really good. I am with Chunk here on the brighter blue sky and whiter clouds. I think you could easily do it with some black and white point adjustment. The whole thing would really pop into a surreal image. Great job ....
    Art Deco, That's a much better title! I will look at the "levels" and try to see what difference it makes.... Thanks Gary.
    Rachel

Obsessive-compulsive... Steph_B's Avatar

Cool shot! If not for the sky, you would believe it's a drawing. Great composition Rachel! And the door add a focal point in the composition. It looks like it's hanging in the middle of nothing.

Have you thought about getting rid of the outside lamps/signs?

I think that a white overcast sky might not have worked. The fact that the sky is blue adds another color to the scene which increases its graphical interest....

Good job!

Cheers,

Steph.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph_B
    Cool shot! If not for the sky, you would believe it's a drawing. Great composition Rachel! And the door add a focal point in the composition. It looks like it's hanging in the middle of nothing.

Have you thought about getting rid of the outside lamps/signs?

I think that a white overcast sky might not have worked. The fact that the sky is blue adds another color to the scene which increases its graphical interest....

Good job!

Cheers,

Steph.
    Thanks! I did think about the lamps, but was unsure... I knew i wanted to keep the door, but i think now that you've mentioned it, and since you were unsure of what they were, I think I will get rid of them.. Just so its a little more "stark" . the sky: i actually was imagining white Puffy clouds, with blue sky in between ( not imposingly dark) But I think that these clouds weren't puffy enough, they just are a little too wispy for my taste. Also, the sky isn't as blue as I'd like, I had a polarizer, but the angle may have been a little wrong for it to be effective.
    Rachel

Thanks! I did think about the lamps, but was unsure... I knew i wanted to keep the door, but i think now that you've mentioned it, and since you were unsure of what they were, I think I will get rid of them.. Just so its a little more "stark" . the sky: i actually was imagining white Puffy clouds, with blue sky in between ( not imposingly dark) But I think that these clouds weren't puffy enough, they just are a little too wispy for my taste. Also, the sky isn't as blue as I'd like, I had a polarizer, but the angle may have been a little wrong for it to be effective.
    I don't mind the lamps. At one point while looking at your shot I deleted all the sky/clouds and left it white. I thought that looked OK too.

Like the composition, it's very open but balanced. I think it's the door that makes the shot. I saw a series of images in a magazine by Pete Turner awhile back, this reminds me of those.

Two things: I see what everyone is saying about the saturation, but I don't think that's it. If you have Photoshop, try bumping the contrast up by 10 or 12 (IOW just a little bit). That will help make the clouds "pop" a little, and maybe look at the black point with levels. Looks like a polarizer would have helped a little - not maximum effect, but then you probably wouldn't need maximum effect here either.

The other thing is that the vertical line on the right (side of building) isn't quite vertical. It looks like it's supposed to be and happened by tilting the camera up a little bit. If it is supposed to be vertical, this is another thing that could be done in Photoshop.

This is a shot that would definately be worth the time in Photoshop, nice work!

Good eye to have seen this.

I agree that the graphical elements would benefit from an adjustment to straighten all lines - possibly a perspective adjustment would do it. Also, I would consider cropping the top - eliminating the top set of clouds - and punching up the color contrast. I think that would focus the attention more on one of the things that makes this such a good photo - the color and shadow contrast.

Well done.

Tuna

Re: F-15_Flyer...

Sorry, I skipped your post, I must of accidently shot straight to the second post, thinking it was the only one there Thanks for taking a look........It is a really cool building, (They are actually all one Building) The Purple sits atop it on the left side..with all those little cool windows..

Thanks for commenting!
    wow i did not know that that was all one building, it looks like the purple one is a skyscraper towering over the orange one, thx for pointing this out.

I agree with Tuna. Crop it just above the little cloud and pump up the contrast in the sky color. Needs to be at least as fresh as the buildings. Now, that being said. This is by far my favorite shot of yours. Wow, it's wonderful. When you straighten the lines and fix the sky, you will be able to sell it for a lot. I like that there are not trees or bushes of any kind. Just the architecture. And especially the COLOR!
    Kit

Resting on the Lunatic Fringe FadderUri's Avatar

The first thing I thought of when I saw this was the Dick Tracey movie that Madonna and Warren Beatty did a while back. The colors are just so surreal. Looking closer at it, it looks like something rendered in a computer game. Even with the door in there and the (light fixtures?) U-shaped objects, it STILL looks like a computer rendered piece. Great shot!!!

Fadder Uri
    Befriending the friendless
    Bringing odor to the odorless
    Faith to the doubtful
    Doubt to the faithfull
    Clothing the sick and
    Laying my healing hands upon the naked

Another View, Tuna, Shesells & Fadder Uri

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Like the composition, it's very open but balanced. I think it's the door that makes the shot. I saw a series of images in a magazine by Pete Turner awhile back, this reminds me of those.

Two things: I see what everyone is saying about the saturation, but I don't think that's it. If you have Photoshop, try bumping the contrast up by 10 or 12 (IOW just a little bit). That will help make the clouds "pop" a little, and maybe look at the black point with levels. Looks like a polarizer would have helped a little - not maximum effect, but then you probably wouldn't need maximum effect here either.

The other thing is that the vertical line on the right (side of building) isn't quite vertical. It looks like it's supposed to be and happened by tilting the camera up a little bit. If it is supposed to be vertical, this is another thing that could be done in Photoshop.

This is a shot that would definately be worth the time in Photoshop, nice work!
    Another View: Thank you so much for your comments, I checked out Peter Turners Site:
    http://www.peteturner.com/mexicolayout.html
    and wow!
    what color! (he must shoot slide film, you think?)
    what skys! (but are they heavily PS'D? check out :
    Under Americana/8th Image down Title: Truckstop
    Under African / 4th image dwn / Trombone player
    Under African/ 3rd image UP/ Camel Rider..
    Definitely this one : Classics/ 7th down Titled "Giraffe I first noticed it on his large image, but take a look at the Thumbnails.. Splotchy. (?) I love his perspective and juxtaposition of the objects in his photos! Thanks For educating me about him, I will be spending some time in his site

I tried the Contrast tip you gave me, But at +5 / It got splotchy.. (and that was with a tiff file)

I am posting an image with changes as follows:
    -Cropped / As Tuna & Shesells suggested **thanks for the tips/comments**

-Levels / Black point taken to 12

-On Cloud to left of tower only - Hue Saturation/ Lightness +11

-On Cloud / Replaced Color / Hue -5 / Saturation+37

FadderUri- My roommate thought it was a drawing too...Interesting - I never thought It would get that reaction at all...

Thanks all for your time and Help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Abstract Building-purple-tower-two-buildings-pr-suggest-pers-hue-sat-16.jpg  
    Rachel

Thread Information