Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

1st requested Critique

This is the first time I have ever posted a pic asking for a critique. I am getting back into photography after about a 10-year hiatus. Going full digital in the SLR category. The picture here was taken at one of the forts in San Juan during our cruise in 2001. It is kind of a cliche shot. Nevertheless, it is one of my favorites from the cruise. As you can imagine, there were tons of tourists visiting the fort and I waited for about 15-20 minutes for this shot (wife was NOT happy). And when the opportunity presented itself, I shot it so fast and was only afforded one frame with no other tourists (I was not adept at PhotoShop then). Taken with a Sony DSC S-75 3.3megapixel camera. Anyway, what do you think?

Re: 1st requested Critique

I really like the way these sort of pictures try and drag your eyes into infinity. I think the warmth of the colours are at odds with the composition, as I actually find this quite a depressing image. Perhaps black and white, as below. I don't know really, I do like your picture, it just has something that makes me feel uneasy!

Hope you don't mind me playing with your photo in PS and sorry I couldn't be a little bit more descriptive.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st requested Critique-wheredoesitend3-bw.jpg  
    Last edited by Hindey; 11-25-2004 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Forgot to upload photo... Doh!

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I really like the colour version, far prefer it to B&W.
    There isn't enough texture to make the B&W version interesting for me.

But in the colour version I like that subtle patch of daylight on the far wall through the arches.
    It has a subtlly blue hue, which might be a candidate for tweaking in PS.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks for the insight. No, I do not mind you tweaking with the shot. I actually have a B&W version myself, but I prefer teh color version as well. What originally captured my attention is obviously the repeating arches. It wasn't until after I took the shot and was viewing it back onboard later that day that I felt the slightly uneasy feeling. Maybe the shot needs a ghost image of someone walking across......

Andy

Thread Information