Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: 12+1=1

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

12+1=1

This is the final product of taking 13 seperate photos and combining them into 1 large panaramic shot. The final version measures about 7X60 I have uploaded a larger version at:

http://webpages.charter.net/mjs1973

Please take a look and tell me what you think. I know it's not perfect but I'm pretty happy with the results considering it's my first time ever trying something like this. Sorry about the small size uploaded here.

Thanks for checking it out.
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12+1=1-finalflat-copy2.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Opinionated Newbie
    The link you posted is not displaying the individual images. Instead of having it point to the web host for the image, you still have it looking in your My Documents folder. Change it from a "file:\\\" link to a link to the web server and we may appreciate the work you've done that much more

This is very cool and VERY wide! The colors are very good and the subject is interesting. The doc in the foreground is placed well. Hobestly, I think this will play be once it is printed. I'd love to see the end result. I hate to see the bill if you use someone like ofoto!

This scene may play well as three seperate images side by side by the way.

Fixed (I hope!)

Thanks for letting me know about my web page. I made some quick changes and it should be working now. If not, please let me know.

Thanks
    Mike
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Opinionated Newbie
    Holy $^@#! You created that out of those?!? Now that is one fine bit of photoshop! Honestly, at that point it is no longer photography we are looking at but rather art and an artists conception of a scene. Very nice work using those images. The purists will have a fit

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I didn't have much to work with once I got them on the PC and saw how drastic the color changes in the sky and water were. :s I could get the trees to blend pretty good, but that only threw off the sky and water even more, so I decided to just get rid of the sky and replace it with one solid piece. I was going to do the same with the water, but I managed to get them to match up a little better so I left them.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Too bad we can't see it better due to the viewing size restrictions...But from what I can see, it looks very nice. Nice job.

Remarkable

Remarkable job getting all these images to mesh the way you have. Standing ovation!!!

Thanks!

Thanks Oldtimer and Tuna. This isn't what I had envisioned when I started this project, but once I put the originals together, I knew I had to make some major changes to get them to look like one image. I thought I was done with it, but everytime I look at it, I find something else that I want to touch up... this project has taken on a life of it's own... but it is soo much fun to play around with!!! I wish I would have switched to digital years ago!!

Mike
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

pretty freakin great! would love to see it hanging on a wall to get the full effect!

Thanks Shutterman, so would I. I just stopped at a couple of printing places to check on prices to get this thing printed. One place can do it as a 4 color poster for about $30-40 but he said that the color won't last like a photolabs would. The locol photo shop can have it done as a photo for about $150 as one large print, or for around $40 as two 30" prints, and then paste them together. The local photo guy said that if it's in a dark area it would be pretty easy to hide the seam but who knows how it will come out untill it's done. Not sure what to do... I don't know if I want to spend the $150, but on the other hand I don't want to paste it together and risk seeing a seam running thru the middle of the photo, and then have to spend the $150 go get it done right.. Anybody have any suggestions? Has anyone ever spliced two photo prints together and if so, could you see the splice?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Mig
    C8H10N4O2
    I ran off on Thursday with a dance troupe from Spain

Re: Stretched sky

You did a great job with the stitching! My only concern with printing it large would be how the sky portion would come out. With the sky from one image being stretched across twelve images, I think the print will show resolution problems. Don't quote me on that.

You might want to go with the split print to see how the sky comes out and then decide on paying the money for the single print after that.

Good luck!

Danielle
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mig
    My only concern with printing it large would be how the sky portion would come out. With the sky from one image being stretched across twelve images, I think the print will show resolution problems. Don't quote me on that.

Danielle
    Hi Danielle,

I never even gave that a thought, I'm glad you mentioned it!

Thanks
    Mike
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I'm really surprised

that nobody mentioned the lack of color from the sky reflecting on the lake. I thought for sure that would be the first thing to be pointed out. When I first posted this, I couldn't think of an easy way to do it since I have very little PS exp. other than really basic stuff. I did manage to figure it out tho and I updated the version on my web site if you want to take another look.

Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thread Information