Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Dichotomy

Seb

Dichotomy

Here is a third picture from Toronto. The contrast betwen the Financial District and the Old Town of York is quite surprising.

28mm f/9 1/320sec ISO 200

Please criticise.

Seb
    Last edited by Seb; 04-08-2010 at 10:48 PM.

I'm not sure how you pulled this off in very bright, hazy light, but even more than the architectural contrast, the color contrasts between the old, colorful "brick" structure and the grey steel and glass of the sky-scrapers is really cool. Looks almost like a photograph superimposed on an illustrated background. Composition is also well thought out and the image is sharp where it needs to be.

I will say you could probably afford to do a little perspective correction to remove the "lean" of the buildings at left and right.

Have anymore shots with this theme?
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckJunkey
    I'm not sure how you pulled this off in very bright, hazy light, but even more than the architectural contrast, the color contrasts between the old, colorful "brick" structure and the grey steel and glass of the sky-scrapers is really cool. Composition is also well thought out and the image is sharp where it needs to be.

I will say you could probably afford to do a little perspective correction to remove the "lean" of the buildings at left and right.

Have anymore shots with this theme?

Hello PuckJunkey,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Actually, I worked the levels a little and slightly boosted the saturation but the old building clearly stood out of the rest even on the original.
    I don't really know why it leads to this effect. The only thing that I can see is that this old building is at a relatively good distance from the modern buildings. It wasnt that hazy that day (in comparison to the rest of the week) so it seems that haze only showed up at some distance.

I have few others shot of this building but I don't like them at all.

You are right about perspective correction.

best regards

Seb

Great Comp/Color

Seb,
    I love the composition and color in this. I think the haze helps in this shot, to really make the old building "pop" more against the newer architecture.

Great shot!

-VillenaDeCorte
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by villenadecorte
    Seb,
    I love the composition and color in this. I think the haze helps in this shot, to really make the old building "pop" more against the newer architecture.

Great shot!

-VillenaDeCorte
    Hello Villena,

Thank you for the kind words. (It's interesting to realize that haze doesn't necessarily ruin shots!).

Seb

Thread Information