Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Fooling around...

Fooling around in the wife's flower garden Friday afternoon after work. We had just had a rain shower and every than was clean and crisp. Nothing outstanding here but would be interested in your comments. All shot with the D70 and Nikkor 105mm f2.8 on the Bogen with a my new ball head.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fooling around...-scavola-640.jpg   Fooling around...-daisy-640.jpg   Fooling around...-rose-sharon-640.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Fooling around in the wife's flower garden Friday afternoon after work. We had just had a rain shower and every than was clean and crisp. Nothing outstanding here but would be interested in your comments. All shot with the D70 and Nikkor 105mm f2.8 on the Bogen with a my new ball head.
    Wow, you've really been successful with your "gardening". The first one I think is a very strong image with very strong depth. Just beautiful. I think one reason it's so successful is that its arrangement is the opposite of the normal flower shot where there is foliage on the bottom, blossum through the central part and then background around the top. This one gives us a little surprise.
    I like the detail you hold in the white blossums - that's always a problem spot for me. I do think the last two can be a little less flat with a minor levels and curves adjustment.

Seb
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Hello Old Timer,

These are all appealing in their own way but my favorite is the second one because of the very detailled core and the effect of water on the petals. However it is overexposed (just like the third one) and I think that I would try a sqare crop to get rid of the petal in the upper left corner.

regards

Seb

Hi Old Timer,
    I really love these, flowers are second to snapping pics of children for me!
    I think these are all composed well, my only *suggestions* would be to do some levels adjustment, with the white flowers, to give them a little more pop.
    I enjoyed the second shot best! I like the off centeredness of it as well... really works for that flower, and the small shadow on the right side of the petals.

Great shots!

VillenaDeCorte
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Hey Oldtimer,
    Good shots. I like the second best of all. It is placed right, water droplets a nice touch and sharp. This just needs levels adjustment, as does the third. Get the whites white and the blacks black and it will stand out strong.
    The first is ok. I like it for the colors, but the composition is a bit confusing to me.
    Good work
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thanks to all...

Thanks to all who took time to view and comment. As most of you know I have been around photography for more years than I care to remember, however this digital thing and all the post process is very new to me. I had tried to get the levels right before post but from your comments I must have failed. Don't know if it is old tired eyes or just basic lack of knowhow. At anyrate the blossoms in the post have been a joy to view this summer in the backyard and I'm glad that you enjoyed them. The first image was very interesting in that it is a tiny bloom to start with that grows very close together and with only four petals all pointing down. I had to work hard to isolate one and get it framed. I love the vivid yellow and blue/purple petals of this potted flower.

Thread Information