Thread: Job Offer

Job Offer

I'm a mom who has been shooting high school basketball and soccer for the past 4 years just for fun and for the kids. I post them on facebook and make a video for a the end of the season. I've just been contacted by the editor of our town's online newspaper and she offered me a job taking photos of the home games this year. I'm very excited about it!! She wanted me to think about how much I'd want to be paid. I don't have the slightest idea what someone would get paid for something like this. I told her that and she told me to give it some thought and get back to her. I don't even know where to begin to find out what is a going rate or fair amount. I'm not sure if we are allowed to talk money on here. If we are, I would love to hear what people think. If not, can any of you direct me to where I could find out information like this or send me a private e-mail letting me know a general idea of money paid for small town local high school shots?

Thank you,
    Donna

Re: Job Offer

Great question! I am interested to see some of the responses. I would say... Think about how much your time is worth to your self. Think about how much time you would have to take to do this job both at the game and after the game. (editing pictures and stuff like that) Also, keep in mind that you will have to attend all the home games. Sounds like a fun thing to do. congrats and good luck!
    Marco Arreguin

All critique/advice welcome.
    Growing every day.

Congratulations on the offer! I hope you don't mind, but I moved your post to the business and law forum. I think it's a better fit here. And we absolutely talk about money on this forum - absolutely!

There are a few things to discuss here. The first is how much and for what you should get paid. The second is the rights to the photos. There are two basic ways to get paid for your photography. One is for the photo rights and the other is for your time. Photo rights have the best potential for you but it's a little more complicated. Getting paid for your time is simple but unless you have a contract saying otherwise, it's considered "work for hire" and your giving up the rights to your photos. That being the case, I'd offer to sell photos to the Web site. You aren't guaranteed any money that way but you get to be in charge of how the photos are used. That may not seem like a big deal. But how would you feel if you were getting paid by the hour and you discovered that the Web site was selling prints of your photos to the families and athletes? That would be a raw deal, huh? Better you sell the site online usage only, with no exclusivity, and you put the photos up online for sale to the athletes and families.

How's that for a start? How does that sound? I'm sure you'll have more questions. We'll have more answers
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thank you! It all sounds very complicated! LOL This is all so new to me. Until this point I have never sold any of the photos. When my daughter was actually playing I used to give each a player a CD with all the photos I had of them for the season. Most of them were pretty good friends with her (and us). I'm not sure how much of a market there would be for selling photos to the families. A few years back a woman in town started a business trying to do that and it kind of fizzled. I'm very glad you brought all this up. I hadn't really thought about photo rights or anything. I do like the sound of online usage only with no exclusivity. But I still don't know a general idea of what is a fair price. And do people get paid per game or by how many photos they give them or what?

This all just kind of came out of the blue so I didn't even really ask her any questions such as is she just going to want a few pictures from each game or is she looking for a lot of pictures to present as a slide show. If it's a slide show that would be a lot more work for me after the game editing photos rather than if I was just doing 2 or 3 photos.

I think I will do some reading through this section of the forum. I never noticed it before and had just been visiting the sports photography section trying to learn how to take better shots. I would appreciate any and all advice about this before I talk to the editor again.

Thank you very much for the help!
    Donna

You can always make good money from sports. What's in the pictures, what's in the bids. I prefer betting. I've been doing this for many years. Not without the help of resources like livescore at https://777score.com. In any case, I can always be sure that my life is closely connected with sports. And so it will always be. Try to write in the local newspaper or call the sports school.

If you have registered your business and plan to communicate with regulatory business sale documents . That is, it can be used in various areas of electronic information exchange, where it is necessary to identify the subscriber, confirm the integrity of the data and record the time of signing the document.

Thread Information