WPPI and Insurance

Printable View

• 05-07-2007, 11:36 AM
    poker
    WPPI and Insurance
    Anyone here a member of WPPI?

http://www.wppionline.com/index.tml

Anyone familiar with insurance for photographers and videographers?

Here is the insurance company associated with WPPI:

http://packagechoice.com/

What are your experiences on this?
  • 05-10-2007, 05:12 PM
    poker
    Re: WPPI and Insurance
    LOL....so many uninsured photographers here, I see. You would think at least a couple people would have something to share.

You guys do have car insurance......right? :D
  • 05-14-2007, 11:00 AM
    mwfanelli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by manacsa
    Anyone familiar with insurance for photographers and videographers? ...What are your experiences on this?

If you make less than half of your income from photography, you can buy a cheap attachment to your homeowners insurance that will cover the photo equipment regardless of where you take it. Liability is not included as you are not considered a pro.

If you are a pro photographer, most insurance companies (e.g., State Farm, Allstate, etc.) have business policies. Ask your agent.

Pro organizations also have member policies as you mentioned. If you like it and it covers what you need, go for it. Make sure you ask you car/house/renters insurance company as they sometimes have good deals if you have multiple policies.
  • 05-14-2007, 11:56 AM
    mjs1973
    All of my photo gear is insured along with my home owners insurance. It is very inexpensive, as long as you're not a pro. I think mine comes out to about $10 for every $1000 worth of coverage/year.

Like Michael said, I have no liability coverage if I were shooting a wedding and something went wrong, but I'm ok with that.
  • 05-14-2007, 01:00 PM
    berrywise
    Same here for the home owners insurance. I just took out a bit more to cover the amount of camera gear I have over the amount they would cover under the regular policy.

I have been thinking about looking at becoming an LLC, or something like that, as I have started to shoot enough weddings now for people I don't know that I should probably be protecting myself in case something horrible were to happen.
  • 05-14-2007, 04:12 PM
    poker
    Good to know this stuff. Thanks!
  • 05-19-2007, 09:17 PM
    JSPhoto
    I have known photographers who "thought" their gear was covered by home owners insurance, and unscrupulous companies will say they cover certain things until you have a loss.
    1: Photog leaves gear in his car and it's stolen...home owners will not cover it because he wasn't at home and car insurance won't cover it because it isn't "part of the car"
    2: photographer drops camera in lake....home owners company says "too bad"
    3: house burns down and photographer got 30% of insured value - lightning caused the fire

For $20-$30 a month you can get much better coverage that will replace gear with much less hassel.
    One photographer forgot he stuck his camera on his car and it fell off and the body and lens were trashed, the gear was replaced with new gear. Another (last week in fact) knocked the lens off his camera going in a door at the track, 24 hours later he had a new lens.

JS
  • 05-21-2007, 10:19 AM
    mwfanelli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    I have known photographers who "thought" their gear was covered by home owners insurance, and unscrupulous companies will say they cover certain things until you have a loss.
    1: Photog leaves gear in his car and it's stolen...home owners will not cover it because he wasn't at home and car insurance won't cover it because it isn't "part of the car"
    2: photographer drops camera in lake....home owners company says "too bad"
    3: house burns down and photographer got 30% of insured value - lightning caused the fire

For $20-$30 a month you can get much better coverage that will replace gear with much less hassel.
    One photographer forgot he stuck his camera on his car and it fell off and the body and lens were trashed, the gear was replaced with new gear. Another (last week in fact) knocked the lens off his camera going in a door at the track, 24 hours later he had a new lens.

JS

You just have to read the policy. My homeowners ALWAYS covered stuff stolen from the car, cameras as well as anything else. I have used State Farm and Liberty Mutual with no problems making claims. Perhaps you should switch companies.

The photography addition covers all camera problems including accidental damage, theft, leaving things behind (as I did with a lens), etc. It cost me about $12/month for $15.000 worth of equipment with State Farm. You can get similiar policies for jewelry, art, antiques, etc. I am an amateur which lowered the price substantially because no business liability is included.
  • 08-25-2007, 06:45 AM
    OBie
    You can always invest in the damage protection policy, which I believe might be more pricey, but peace of mind. Like when I dropped my new (very heavy) Sigma 80-200 1.8 and thought I needed a new one. Phew - it was only the UV filter that was cracked.

Dropped in a lake? No problem. Fire? No problem. Dog ate it? No problem. Although, now that I think of it, I don't believe it covers theft.

OK, maybe I'm going to look into a rider on our HO policy.
  • 09-13-2007, 12:08 PM
    adina
    I've talked to our insurance agent, my equipment is not covered at all. Because of the value of it, and because of the amount of income it produces, I need to buy it separate. ppa offers insurance as well, it's on my list of things to do. I could get it thru my regular agent, but it would cost more.
  • 03-23-2020, 01:03 PM
    mewniiwks
    Hey. I think that I will not be able to immediately in every minute impulse determine all the possible options for the negative development of events and foresee everything. Could you tell me a company https://generalliabilityinsure.com that will help to protect me and my business as much as possible through an insurance policy that will provide me with guarantees of compensation for harm due to external influences? The only thing that insurance cannot protect from is the instability of the economy, but from everything else, I can easily shield myself and not think about problems and devote my time to business development.
  • 06-16-2020, 11:42 PM
    goalken
    Your feedback helps me a lot, A very meaningful event, I hope everything will go well basketball legends
  • 04-23-2021, 09:06 PM
    samgood
    Who provides with the insurance or this is an insurance from your own company? I am usually a permanent client of Asurion, these guys provide with the best conditions on different types of insurances (and very responsive and supportive asurion phone number ), I wouldn't ever refuse from co-working with them.
  • 07-23-2021, 10:26 PM
    samgood
    Sounds absolutely new to me, I think I need to google this company. I am looking for a good life insurance now, too, but I tend to Senior Life Insurance for today, I even found these senior life insurance reviews and planning to get in touch with it's managers as soon as possible.