Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Wedding albums and proof books

I have booked my first wedding!!! Now I need to find a place to get some nice proof books/albums. I looked at some local stores today, but didn't find anything I liked. I think the 3 ring binder type albums seem cheep, and I don't like the type that are bound because I don't want to give a client a book with a bunch of empty pages in it.

I've been doing some searching online and Topflight seems to have a pretty good selection. I like the pin type albums but have never used them for anything before so I don't even know what I woud have to order. I have ordered some catalogs from some placed I have found online, but I'm wondering what other people use.

Has anyone used Topflight? If so, what do you think of their products and service? What are some other places I should check out?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

drg

Re: Wedding albums and proof books

Check out the local scrapbooking supply shops. There you may find something you can put your hands on to see if it meets your needs. The post bound square (i.e. 12x12) can be filled with a variety of sheets. I have used a local scrapbooker to make up books that contain sheets of papers with either photo corners or slots for photos. That way I can proof different sizes in the same album including custom sizes or mats.

I go shopping about once a year and buy a supply. I try to split the inventory between leather and linen/acid free paper type. These go to the client and they get to keep them.

If I am strictly proofing, I am using some of the same leather proof albums I have had for years. They originally came from Pegasus in Miami, Florida via a trade show in St. Louis. There are also Coach Albums (real costly, start at $300 or so).

The size is important to think about as well as quality. A big proof book is less likely to be taken to work, or hauled around. That can cost sales. A few years ago when I was doing several weddings in a row, I split the photos up by Formals, Ceremony, Candids, and Reception in separate 1-up books (like brag books with one photo per page). These were all put into a fitted box and then I sold the whole set as well as took orders. More work, for sure, but with these clients considerably more sales.

I have bought a couple of the Topflight products and they seem fine. I just find that with some carefully looking through stores or at wedding shows, I can find something that I want to use more than just ordering.

One place I bought from was provocraft in Utah ( www.provocraft.com ) but they seem to have stopped carrying any post albums in leather. They do still have some nice linen and customized scrapbooking materials.

There is another source I purchased a couple from last year called Flora Albums. I got them via a pro photo source in Waukegan. They have a website www.floraalbums.com.
    The place in Waukegan, Illinois is Michel Company http://www.michelcompany.com/ . I was in the area with some people and we were looking for suppliers local to there and found this place. It is just a resource neither highly recommended or not. They do have a good supply and variety.

You will still need inserts/pages though these come in standard sizes. The pages can really add up in addition to the outside binder. For a one off wedding, you might really want to consider the cost as a factor.

Best of luck and let us know what you find. Unfortunately, these producers come and go in this day and age a little too rapidly.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thanks for the info and links DRG. I ordered a catalog from Michel Co. last night. Cost is a big factor for this album. If I can keep the album under $50 that would be ideal. I'm doing the whole thing pretty cheap as it's my first wedding, and it's pretty small. No brides maids or groomsmen. We do have a small scrapbooking store that I drive past everyday. I will stop in there this week and see what they have.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Michael, I fully understand your position and the consideration for inexpensive albums. Topflight does make some decent albums in the price range you are looking for.
    DRG gave some excellent info regarding albums. I would also like to add http://www.albumsinc.com Albums Inc is an excellent supplier of various types of albums. Check them out.
    As of late I have fallen in love with the i-mount albums from Art Leather http://www.artleather.com . The albums are inexpensive and look and feel great. They come in various sizes 8x8, 8x10, 10x10 that allows you to create a digital storybook. Happy album hunting.

Thanks
    Christos

Thanks for the info and the links Christos!! I part-time wedding photog friend of mine from work just gave me an Albums Inc catalog a couple days ago. I haven't had time to look at it yet tho.

Thanks again!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Congrads on booking the wedding! You may have already taken care of this out by now, but I used a proof book that I bought from Michel & Co. It was a 3-ring and looked pretty good, called "big value" or some other tacky name like that.

Decide what size you'll make your proofs and standardize on whatever book. The 3-ring was nice because I could add a few extra pages if needed. I bought a couple of packages of extra pages and this way I could use them when needed. With tax, shipping and a few bucks thrown in for some extra pages, they were close to $50 each.

The easiest way is to order a proof book form some place like White House Custom Color. They arrive bound with as many images printed per page as you need.

Their print quality is amazing.

http://www.whcc.com
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thanks for the info Steve. I did find an album that I'm going to use for this wedding so I have it covered for now. I think I have a catalog from Michel & Co and they have some nice stuff. I will keep them in mind when I need another one.

Thanks for the link Seb. I will check them out too.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

great information..thank you very much for giving it.

Hi there,

No, I haven’t used Topfilght. However, I have tried this:CreateOnlinePhotoAlbums. I found it real cool and quick in creating my personalized photo albums. Check that out. Cheers!

I get my albums at http://www.meritalbums.com/ because they are in town. I offer Renaissance library bound 10x10 albums.

I don't like assembling the Top Flight pin style albums.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Thread Information