Watermarks on Prints from a promotion

Does anyone put a watermark on their prints? I did a promotion of one day of shooting 10 different families at $55 a pop. Hardly worth my time monetarily speaking - but I did it for the exposure and word of mouth. I put a VERY small gray watermark on all of the images from that day and gave them all to the clients. One person out of ten is protesting and asking for the images without the watermark. What should I do? She specifically said that my images were "useless" and "worthless" with a watermark and that she would never print or hang any of them in her house with the watermark.

Opinions appreciated.
    www.vickisiggphotography.com

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Watermarks on Prints from a promotion

Welcome to the Forum. My first thought was to have the customer purchase more prints from you without the watermark. But the more I think about it, the more I'm not so sure that is the best solution. Since you are doing this as a 'promotion' and a way to get exposure for your business I think you may be better off keeping the customer happy. Maybe you could offer them new prints at a discounted price or even at cost in order to keep them happy.

It might help to know what exactly your promotion included for the $55. Was it the sitting fee and number of prints of a certain size? Was it noted in the contract that the prints would include a small watermark?

As a side note, this is one of the biggest reasons I say no when people ask me to do portraits.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

They'd be perfectly happy if it was a signed Rembrandt or Picasso or something.
    I say leave it.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

This is a tough call. I've looked at your website (very nice) and noticed you are quite clear about pricing and the fact that you don't up-charge for prints. My first inclination is to suggest that if they want the standard watermark free version, they are more than welcome to provide the additional $145.00 for the standard sitting fee. However, in an effort to keep the peace and avoid more bad publicity than good coming from what started out as a losing proposition profit wise, I might concede to mailing them 1 print at a size of their choice (up to 8x10) and see if that is satisfactory. I would not under any circumstances provide them with a watermark free digital file. The problem with giving this type of customer everything they want right away, is that they will tell their friends (who will also be this type of customer) and the problem will continue to compound itself until you can't dig yourself out from under the "cheap & easy" label.

Vickie,

I agree with jetrim, but would add one additional item. I would Stamp or otherwise coypright mark the back of the print. These are the types of people who would go to Wal-Mart, Walgreens etc and get the print scanned and then buy a bunch of prints @ Wal-Mart Prices. Under no circumstances would I give them an unmarked print or File.

Good luck
    Bill,

Feel Free TO EDIT My Photos, But Please Tell Me Why
    I have gone over to the dark side, no more film.
    Canon T2i, 18-135 IS
    Digital Point&Shot - Canon Powershot A470

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

One person out of ten is protesting and asking for the images without the watermark
    But if you go get your photo by Olan Mills they gold emboss their name in the corner - and that's paying full price!

Looks like one out of 10 of your customers are people you want to go to someone else.
    I agree on stickering/stamping all the prints on the back as well as the front watermark.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by VickiRDH
    She specifically said that my images were "useless" and "worthless" with a watermark and that she would never print or hang any of them in her house with the watermark.
    More likely, they're "useless" because they won't be able to make copies at WalMart. Tell them they can return the prints and go get photos taken somewhere else. I watermark everything and no one ever complains. If people are confused about it, tell them you're proud of your work and you also want to protect it from being stolen. Like SmartWombat said, if they got the prints done at Olan Mills they'd have that little gold stamp on it.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I wouldn't give in either. Apparently, you have nine happy references, and I seriously doubt you will want to do business with her referrals any way. Christmas is coming and she likely is looking for a way to get "cheap" gifts.

Your editing is welcomed. A picture is worth...

All can look. Few will see. Less will know.

The Truth can be anything it will. I just want to know Truth.

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I sent her a polite email offering a few prints without watermarks and she responded with a rude and rediculous email about how she's worked with SO many professional photographers (she's a wedding planner) and she's never seen anyone do this. I have a feeling she's just going to photoshop the watermarks out of the images. I guess there's nothing I can do. Thanks again for your responses as this has been a lesson learned.

Hello Vicki; are you trying to build a business? Is profit (bottom line) important to you ? Is this your full time endeavor? If yes, DO NOT CAVE to the one in ten. As mentioned above, this is a client who will give you nothing but headaches, as evidenced by the latest response. As an expert in the business side of our chosen profession, I'm always thinking about maximizing income. If yopu need any help in this regard, contact me directly and we can have a short discussion on how to help you out.

neil@phtostockplus.com

Happy Holidays!

Thread Information