Stock vs. Publishing

I'm posting in different forums and taking a poll, as to whether or not I should take my photography the Publishing or Stock route? Anyone who would like to participate, please view my site and send me any feedback. Thanks !

http://jwrightphotography.blogspot.com/

Sincerely,

J Wright

Re: Stock vs. Publishing

First, welcome to PR. I hope that you will stay awhile and become a contributing member.

Second, I would take some of your individual photos and post them here separately. You will get a much better response and more detailed.

Third, you are very talented from what I saw in the gallery. Just another reason for the first and second responses of mine.

As far as your question, I truly think you could do both. A lot of stock photos get published anyway. Guess it depends on what you want published in. You can go here http://www.photographersdirect.com/ which is one of the best stock sites I have found. I have a few of my own images with them. From the quality of what I saw in yours, I doubt you would have a problem getting interest. Of course with stock, you have to get seen by the right people.
    "No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit." --Ansel Adams

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." --Ansel Adams

Thanks for the advice and resources, it is appreciated !

J Wright

I am not certain there is ever a direct answer to your question. One thing you need to consider is the return you need on your work. Another thing to consider was how difficult the shot was to get, and how in demand it will be. If the shot has very wide commercial appeal, was fairly a typical subject, and cost isn't a factor then I would most likely use it as stock. If it were the opposite, try to have it published first.

IOW, it may be best to have a photo of an orange in a stock situation instead of shopping it to every publishing house.

As an example, for organization, I have three folders. One is for prints, it contains very specific types of work, most likely marketable as prints, as it would more appeal to an individual. Another folder has stock work, which includes things like cars, flowers, guns, and some still life. The last folder has shots that may appeal to news, travel, or other commercial organizations, but are too specific to holidays/situations, etc. to use as stock.

However, that is just one person's views, and I have been doing this for about 8 months, so some of the more experienced folks may have better answers.

Thread Information