Question Selling Photography

I have some questions on selling my photography. I know that I can't sell copyrighted shots, what about my other stuff. I don't know how to go about selling them. I was looking into stock photography but im more interested in selling matted prints, or just prints alone.

Having a website is a good start i know, my skills with that are low at the moment and money is tight as i'm unemployed. Well if anybody has any stories or ideas let me know.

I know starting out i would not be selling much and alot i heard comes from who you know.Well i bet sending them to photo contests and galleries might help build awareness for me but i just don't know where to begin on the business side. I have a few books on the subject it just seems like a large gap between not knowing anything and being on the inside lol.

Some of my shots i post here when i get time others i put up on this site.http://imaphotoguy.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks,

nate

Re: Selling Photography

It all depends on your location. Some places there are not any galleries or artist's markets.

Look for artist markets and flea markets. But you have to have the time to set up and sit around for the day or days of the market plus have sufficient matted prints to sell. Guessing what will sell is an art.

The other way is to get into a gallery but that's a full time job of selling your photography, and it really depends on your location and how many galleries are in your area. If there isn't that many galleries you just have to be very luckily.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Ummmm, well your off to a rocky start already because ALL of your work is copyrighted automatically as soon as you take the shot, and you should NEVER give up your rights to your work! If you do you better get a really good check for it, otherwise you better keep the copyright.
    Everything I do I keep the copyright to protect myself and my work. Even what the AP used they only had the rights to them for 2 years, after that it reverts back to me. Those photos ran in the US, England and Brazil. Even stock photos I still own the copyright.
    And if you don't sell any of your copyrighted photos you won't be able to sell any of em....

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thanks , what i meant was that I can't sell a shot of a coke can or something with Disney on it.

er ....yes you can lol depends on what its for of course, if your making postcards of coke cans then go right ahead coca cola probably wont care. If you shoot a scene with a model wearing brand name clothing you won't really need to get permission from the company to display their clothing in one of your shots.

if you're advertising coca cola or bongo jeans exclusively then you may have some problems

I believe Coke is a trademark; not a copyright.
    Never alter a trademark in a photo, while making it appear to be the same as the trademark. Coke years ago, won or settled (forget which one) a lawsuit against someone or an entity that copyrighted a photo, after they altered the Coke trademark by replacing Cola with 'ain'. Coke didn't think it was too funny.
    "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free"

Cameras: D700 | D300| F5 (Retired to the shelf)
    Lenses: Nikkor 20-35 F/2.8D IF-ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70 F/2.8G EDIF ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 70-200 F/2.8D EDIF VR ZOOM | Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED
    Flashes: SB20 | SB28 | SB800
    Gitzo Tripod, Markins Ball Head
    Solmeta N2 GPS (2)

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Probably why I can't find any more Toka Bola antenna balls.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Lol well looks like i got some research to do and to find out what toka bola balls are lol.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

They are like regualar antennae balls but say Toca Bola on them in the same script Coca Cola uses. No one ever noticed.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

:lol: omg thats hysterical, I needed a laugh today :lol: Didnt even get it till I said it out loud

Ok i have some shots of for instance car art as i like to call it, parts of cars and emblems. Now I am not selling the brand just a picture of it so can i do this, i have alot of request for these type of images.

I would be wary of selling anything that has a brand or logo on it (for example, the world "Mercedes" on a car or the 3-point star emblem). Those items are trademarked and/or copyrighted, and your photo of them could be considered a derivative work, and as such you would need permission from the original rights holders.

Practically, you'd probably be find to sell a photo like that to an owner of the car. But I would not just sell them on a site open to anyone, as that raises the greater possibility for "commercial use," which is where you'd start to get in trouble.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Thread Information