• 01-14-2009, 03:48 PM
    bwilke
    Rookie at charging for pictures
    My daughters softball coached asked if I could take their team pictures and individual pictures this year as oppossed to the photo business they have used in the past.
    I have a nikon D80 with 80-200 2.8 fixed lens and some others...my question, is if I were to take the pictures and purchase the memory mates, etc....can I charge them for the prints....I am a hobbiest and do not have a business license or anything....I live if Florida in case that matters with laws, etc.....

Thanks.
  • 01-14-2009, 06:09 PM
    JETA
    Re: Rookie at charging for pictures
    I was too scared to ever take a dime for myself b4 I had my business license. Every cent I made I gave back to the program I shoot for as a charitable contribution.

Not sure about Florida, but in my state I have to charge sales tax on portrait packages.
  • 01-14-2009, 06:24 PM
    bwilke
    That's a great idea...the team certainly needs the funds and this could be a "fundraiser" for them....I could just get the booster club to purchase the prints that I have developed and the memory mate.....just cover my cost.....at least until I can eventually get a business license...and my pictures will be seen my many...a good promotion...

Is it costly to get a business license for taking pics to sell to the person you take pics of?
    Not certain the process....

Thanks
  • 01-15-2009, 10:18 AM
    JETA
    That's pretty much exactly how I handled the pics. I did about 100 portraits for them. When people paid they made their checks out to the boosters. I bought the prints, gave the booster my receipts and they paid me back.

For the website sales I signed my checks from smugmug right over to them. I was surprised I could do that, but it worked and I never had the money in my possesion.

I got my biz license online and it wasn't much money at all. I cannot remember the exact dollar amount though. Just google your State and business license and you'll find your info.