• 04-09-2009, 10:40 PM
    danic
    RedBubble - What do you use?
    I'v recently signed up to RedBubble, in the hope of recouperating some of the thousands of dollars spent on photography equipment. So far, I haven't made a cent, but it's been less than a week, so I'm still hopeful.

What do you use? Have you had much success?
  • 04-10-2009, 09:37 AM
    Photo-John
    Micro Stock?
    Is RedBubble a micro stock site? I haven't done any micro stock because I think my photos are worth more. That may be a mistake on my part, though. Micro stock is somewhat controversial - especially with experienced working photographers. The thought is that it drives down the overall value of photography by making images available so cheaply. On the other hand, I can see how it would be attractive to begining photographers who are just pleased to get some attention and earn some money for their efforts. And maybe it's just the way things are moving. I know people here that make a living from their istockphoto accounts.

Be patient. From what I've heard, it takes a while to build up a clientel on the micro stock sites. You can't expect to just jump in and start getting checks. You have to build up a portfolio and get the word out. Marketing on the micro stock site and anywhere else you can is important.

Like I said, I haven't tried micro stock because I can't bring myself to license photos so cheaply. However, I do have a Flickr account and get a few license requests per year that pay pretty well. Micro stock provides a built-in payment scale and system. And I think that makes it attractive. Having an online gallery like Flickr or even the PhotographyREVIEW.com gallery can also bring in business if you post good work and let people know it's available for sale. However, pricing and contracts will be your responsibility if you do it my way. You will be able to set your own prices, though.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm moving this thread to the Business and Law forum. I think it's a better fit there and a great subject for discussion :)
  • 04-10-2009, 11:33 AM
    Mr Yuck
    Re: RedBubble - What do you use?
    I have Redbubble and have made about $0.50 when I sold a card.

I have better luck with Flickr, PR, and my personal website. I've had one contact through PR/Flickr and one through a Google search for a specific subject that led to my personal website and a few through Flickr, but none of the Flickr ones have actually gone through.

Most of my business has come from face-to-face contact.
  • 04-10-2009, 03:24 PM
    brmill26
    RedBubble is NOT a microstock site. RedBubble is an art site. You can sell prints, posters, cards, and calendars - and the quality is excellent. I've been on RedBubble for almost a year and every product I've ever got from them is absolutely top knotch. That said, I don't think it's great to use if you want to make money. Their base prices are so high it's impossible to build in a respectable profit and still sell at a reasonable price. In the year I've had my stuff there, I've only made a handful of sales to friends and family; no 3rd party sales at all. But I keep my account there b/c I love their site and again b/c their end product is superb.

The site I use to sell is www.photrade.com They've been hit hard by the economy and have cut down to a bare staff, but the site has been up and running fine for 6 months since that happened. Assuming they survive, they have much, much better base prices and a much wider variety of products. They give you the option to license your photos if you want, but you have some (limited) control over what types of licenses and total control over the price. I've made lots of sales and lots of profits through that site over the past 9 months or so.
  • 04-10-2009, 03:43 PM
    danic
    Cheers PJ - thanks for the move :)

Thanks Brad, I've only been there about a week or so, so not really expecting much yet, if at all. I did think the prices are high, but I firmly believe in the saying, "You get what you pay for". If that reflects in the quality of work, then I'm happy with that. I've been thinking about buyinig one of my own, just to see how the process works and the quality of work that comes through.

I'll have a look at the photrade site and see what it looks like.

Cheers,
    Daniel
  • 04-11-2009, 12:09 AM
    brmill26
    You'll be very impressed with RB's stuff, it's really great. The cards, dead serious, are nicer than anything you'll find in Hallmark. And the calendars I made were superb (and for the size, a fantastic price too). Order up a couple cards. That way you can see their work, and you can use them for your friends' and family's occasions.
  • 04-12-2009, 12:00 AM
    brmill26
    Good time to try them out: Free shipping for the next 60hrs

http://www.redbubble.com/people/redb...hippingmadness