Question about cost of photo websites...

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a good web service to be able to upload my motor sports photos, set prices, and sell prints as well as digital copies. Now I was wondering, what web service offers to do these things at the best price? Thus far, the only webservice that offers this kind of thing is smugmug, but the downside of it is I have to pay $150.00 a year in order to do that. So I was curious, are they the only game in town per se, or are there other services that provide the same kind of web gallery features at a better price? Just curious, thank you all for your time.

Formerly Michael Fanelli, mwfanelli, mfa mwfanelli2's Avatar

Re: Question about cost of photo websites...

Just wondering... Is less than $13 a month too much to set up a commercial business?
    “Men never do evil so cheerfully and completely as when they do so from religious conviction.” — Blaise Pascal

It doesn't seem that the $150/yr is necessarily such a problem, more like they are just interested in what other options are available.

On smugmug, can you actually set it up to where you only pay $13.00 a month for the site and not $150.00 one time? If so, I'll defiently go with smugmug, I just thought origionally that in order to get a pro site set up to where I can sell photos, I had to pay $150.00 up front, but if I can cut it down to only $13.00 a month that will be more than worth it. Let me know if I can do that, thanks for your time.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

There is a podcast that I listen to called Digital Photography Life. They haven't put out a new episode since September, but SmugMug was a sponsor of the show at that time. They had a promo code for SmugMug that would give you 50% off of any SmugMug service. The promo code is "Flickr". Give it a try and see if it still works.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Exposure Manager lets me sell both digital copies either as a download or a CD, or standard prints. I believe I'm paying $45ish a year + commision
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Have Cameras. Will Shoot! NaturalWoman's Avatar

zenfolio.com is $100 a year for almost about the same thing you get with smugmug. haven't done a side by side comparison.
    Happily photographing within my camera's limitations.Website

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    There is a podcast that I listen to called Digital Photography Life. They haven't put out a new episode since September, but SmugMug was a sponsor of the show at that time. They had a promo code for SmugMug that would give you 50% off of any SmugMug service. The promo code is "Flickr". Give it a try and see if it still works.
    The Flickr promo code is no longer any good but it got me to thinking and I did some looking around on the net and found this promo code for 50% of Smugmug and just signed up and it worked. I got this in an email from SmuMug, "You purchased a Professional subscription (and received a discount of $74.97) for $74.98. I used promo code SmUGsHOT and it worked for the pro account, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Have Cameras. Will Shoot! NaturalWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw
    The Flickr promo code is no longer any good but it got me to thinking and I did some looking around on the net and found this promo code for 50% of Smugmug and just signed up and it worked. I got this in an email from SmuMug, "You purchased a Professional subscription (and received a discount of $74.97) for $74.98. I used promo code SmUGsHOT and it worked for the pro account, Jeff
    darn that's a great price. 74.98! enjoy.
    Happily photographing within my camera's limitations.Website

Thread Information