Just me and my camera

volunteer as a photographer...what do you guys think?

Hi everyone, I have some questions regarding an idea I have to slowly get involved as a photographer, as a profession. To build a more diverse portfolio and get myself out there in the community, I would like to take photos of events around my town. I was thinking of calling up fundraiser managers and see if he/she would like a volunteer photographer to take some pictures at his event, then if he/she would like to keep the pictures to use in their website, for example; I would give them a disc of the pictures I took, free of charge, but ask that they credit me for the photo. I was also thinking of having some business cards made up and bring with me to pass out in case anyone asks/interested in some work for themselves and bring along my portfolio, but only if anyone asks to see it. I have never done any paid photo work, so I was thinking of starting off by volunteering my services and seeing what happens from there. I am wondering about the legalities of giving the photos away for free, anything I should keep in mind? What do you guys think of this idea? Do you think good idea/bad idea? Any suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Re: volunteer as a photographer...what do you guys think?

I think it's a great idea! You'll get some great experience, you'll do a ton of networking, and you'll get your work out there. The only thing I'd be concerned about it getting taken advantage of. I think it would be a good idea to make a contract that specifies the usage you're licensing the photos for. And you should make sure to specify that they're only for non-profit use. If someone wants to use something you shoot for commercial purposes, you should get paid.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Just me and my camera

Thanks Photo-John for your friendly reply

Yes, I was worried about that too, being taken advantage of, that's a great idea to create a contract to be more specific.

So, basically you are saying make up a contract and give it to the person who is in charge of the event to be clear on only using the photos to promote the event on their website, flyers/a non-profit thing. If they choose to use them for something else that people will pay them for my photos, like a magazine might pay or newspaper, then I should be paid for that?

I also was wondering about a model release form? How does that work. If I am taking pictures backstage or of people enjoying the event, I might want to include those pictures in my portfolio, but what if in the future I want to use them for something else or I give the pictures to the event manager and she posts them somewhere and the people in the photo don't like being on a flyer, website, newspaper...

Also, when you give people photos (paid or volunteered) should I put my name with copyright symbol in the bottom corner of the photo to show credit? Or because I have given the photos away it is not necessary to do so because now it's their photos?

Sorry, I have so many questions this is VERY new to me; thanks for any advice you can give me
    "You put your camera around your neck along with putting on your shoes, and there it is, an appendage of the body that shares your life with you."--Dorothea Lange

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoGirl View Post
    Thanks Photo-John for your friendly reply

Yes, I was worried about that too, being taken advantage of, that's a great idea to create a contract to be more specific.

So, basically you are saying make up a contract and give it to the person who is in charge of the event to be clear on only using the photos to promote the event on their website, flyers/a non-profit thing. If they choose to use them for something else that people will pay them for my photos, like a magazine might pay or newspaper, then I should be paid for that?

I also was wondering about a model release form? How does that work. If I am taking pictures backstage or of people enjoying the event, I might want to include those pictures in my portfolio, but what if in the future I want to use them for something else or I give the pictures to the event manager and she posts them somewhere and the people in the photo don't like being on a flyer, website, newspaper...

Also, when you give people photos (paid or volunteered) should I put my name with copyright symbol in the bottom corner of the photo to show credit? Or because I have given the photos away it is not necessary to do so because now it's their photos?

Sorry, I have so many questions this is VERY new to me; thanks for any advice you can give me
    The image (copyright) is yours unless you specifically sell it or give it away.

Model (and property) releases are a more difficult subject and the laws are different from country to country, state to state and even some cities/localities. In the US, the photographer does not need releases for anything; the publisher does. Publishing can be anything from showing it to your friend to using it in a commercial to sell a product. In general, you can use the image for your personal use (even your portfolio in Illinois) or editorial use without releases. Note that, as always in the US, you can still be sued for anything and that there is no 'law' until the court decides on the individual case.
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Just me and my camera

thanks OldClicker

volunteering is a great way to get your name out there, just be careful not to overdo your volunteering. Also, make sure you have business cards available so you can get your name to people at the events you are volunteering. This is a great way to build up new clients.

Just me and my camera

thank you ybsorc for your reply

I am in the process of making some business cards, just in case someone asks or I feel I can offer my services to them.

ask for money,no free work

Thread Information