Pricing guidelines

I'm a hobby photographer who is just starting to take it to a business. I recently started working for a newspaper taking high school sports photos. Now a friend wants to hire me for a family party to take some party shots and some shots of her mom (who has cancer) with different kids and grandkids and some family group shots. I'm planning on giving her a CD or flash drive with the finished photos and just let them decide which ones to get printed. I have no idea on how to charge for this. I was thinking $75. Is that too low? My thoughts are that she is a friend and her mom does have cancer and this is my first attempt at something like this. thoughts?

Thanks,
    Donna

Re: Pricing guidelines

I would say that the price should depend on how many pictures you take.
    Since its going to be on a CD or flash drive, these are photos they'll always have available to both them and their family members.

I recently shot a graduation party for close friends of the family and putting the pictures on a CD was one option for them.
    I was going to charge $25 for every 9 pictures on the CD && out of 250 photos they wanted 63 of them, therefore i would have charged them $175

With doing it this way, i didn't feel as if i would have been shorted money for my time, travel costs, and work.
    please do not edit my photos.

Thanks Deege.

Just charge them by the hour... include post processing time and what not. Then you can say 25$ an hour or what not, and no matter how many pics they want etc, you get your set amount.
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Thread Information