Picking a Domain Name

I'm getting ready to create a website and I could use some advice on picking a domain name. I'm not starting a business, but I want something that looks professional and I don't want to make things difficult if I decide to start selling prints one day. In other words, I want the domain name to be something that could work as a business name too.

I'd like to use my real name and I want to keep it simple, but MyNamePhotography.com is taken. I could use MyNamePhoto.com, but that's awfully close. The taken domain is not currently in use, but it could spring up any day. What do you think? Would you use something that close?

I could add my middle name, but then the domain would be really long. I could drop my last name and use only my first and middle, but then it might confuse someone if I signed a print with my first and last name.

I'm open to other ideas if you have any. Thanks for your advice.

Paul

Re: Picking a Domain Name

Is just your last name taken? I am not sure what the names are you are looking for directly, Have you considered a .net site? I have one and have not really had much problem directing people to my site. My site is KatzPhotography.net - which happens to be my last name as well.

Just a thought?
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Quote Originally Posted by ChowChi-Ching
    Is just your last name taken? I am not sure what the names are you are looking for directly, Have you considered a .net site? I have one and have not really had much problem directing people to my site. My site is KatzPhotography.net - which happens to be my last name as well.

Just a thought?
    So, someone else has Katzphotography.com? And you don't have issues with people getting them mixed up?

My last name is Moore, so it's a tough one. I suspect MoorePhotography went real fast. But, I could do PaulMoorePhotography.net or PaulMoorePhoto.com. I was just a little concerned about it being too close to someone else's domain.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Try having the name Mike Smith! I think paulmoorephoto.com would be fine.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Try having the name Mike Smith! I think paulmoorephoto.com would be fine.
    Ha! Yeah, you've got it worse, for sure.

My middle name is Michael, so I can't drop my first name unless I want to start getting hate mail.

I guess I'm worrying too much about it. PaulMoorePhoto.com would be fine with me if you guys don't think it would confuse people.

I really don't think it would be confusing at all. On a side note, I just registered the domain PaulMoorephoto.com so if you want it, it'll cost ya $100.

Just kidding of course. I say GO FOR IT.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Oh, I forgot to ask, who do you planning on getting your domain and hosting from? If you're going to use Go Daddy, here is a link to a website with some promo codes on it that can save you a few bucks. I'm not affiliated with this site in any way, but I did use his promo codes the last time I had to renew my account.

http://www.bitemefcc.com/
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thanks, Mike. I'm glad you got the domain for me. I'll send that check right over.

I'm not sure who I'll go with for hosting yet. I was thinking about Bluehost, but I still have a lot of research left to do. This is all pretty new to me.

Paul

May I suggest that once you decide on the domain name you want, don't wait to get it. Otherwise it might not be available when you go back. Even if you're not 100% sure it's the domain name you're going to be going with. It's better to have it and not need it than to want it and not be able to get it anymore.

I've used GoDaddy for reserving my domain names and also for hosting my websites. I use their Website Tonight feature and I really like it. As a matter of fact, the website that I designed and created for my company is one of the 4 featured websites on GoDaddy. Here is a link:

http://www.tropicalforest.us/

That is a nice looking site. You built that using the templates that GoDaddy has? I haven't looked at any of that stuff that they offer, but I'm starting to think I should.

I do agree with you about getting the name right away. You can get a .com for $7 so it's not a huge investment even if you decide later that you don't want it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Thanks! Yes, I used a GoDaddy Website Tonight template for that site. The only software I used that was not part of Website Tonight was Flash Slideshow Maker which I used to create the slideshows.

However for my photography website (link below), I used Photobucket to create and host the slideshows. Except for the flash intro, I used Flash Slideshow Maker for that.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Oh, I forgot to ask, who do you planning on getting your domain and hosting from? If you're going to use Go Daddy, here is a link to a website with some promo codes on it that can save you a few bucks. I'm not affiliated with this site in any way, but I did use his promo codes the last time I had to renew my account.

http://www.bitemefcc.com/
    Mike,

I clicked on your link and tried to see the discounts, but I don't see anything different than going dirrectly to Go Daddy. Do I have to type in those codes somewhere to get the discounts?

Thanks,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by photophorous
    Mike,

I clicked on your link and tried to see the discounts, but I don't see anything different than going dirrectly to Go Daddy. Do I have to type in those codes somewhere to get the discounts?

Thanks,
    Paul

Nevermind. I just figured it out. Sorry.

Hey Paul,

Yes, you have to type in the promo codes when you check out to get the discount.

UCR - 10% off
    UCR2 - $5 off orders of $30 or more
    UCR3 - $6.95 to register a .com domain
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Waht about moorephoto.com or pmoorephoto.com?
    Are those taken?
    Just make it easy to remember and catchy!
    Good luck!
    :thumbsup:
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thanks guys! I just bought the domain name. I went with PaulMoorePhoto.com. Now I just need to take some good photos and build a website. Piece of cake.

If I can help in some way, let me know!
    Have fun and good luck!
    :thumbsup:
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

Thanks for the offer, Brian. I'm sure I'll need some help at some point. I just ordered a beginner's HTML book, but I plan on looking into all my options as far as templates and software are concerned. I think the hardest part will be picking which photos to use. I still have a lot to do.

Paul

I think the hardest part will be picking which photos to use. I still have a lot to do.
    Paul
    That and what layout you want to go with.
    My suggestion, look at some of your favorite photographers websites and see how their's look. Start with mine, for example..
    Another recommendation, DREAM WEAVER. If you look around, you can find it for less.
    Trust me on this one, I have yet to lead you a stray on such things my friend!
    Brian
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...

So, someone else has Katzphotography.com? And you don't have issues with people getting them mixed up?

My last name is Moore, so it's a tough one. I suspect MoorePhotography went real fast. But, I could do PaulMoorePhotography.net or PaulMoorePhoto.com. I was just a little concerned about it being too close to someone else's domain.
    I have not had anyone tell me they got confused with the .net .com issue - I do make sure to tell people it is .net - but I have it advertised as .net and it is really so common now people do not really get it too confused.
    I would LOVE to get the .com too......maybe someday
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Quote Originally Posted by ChowChi-Ching

Just a thought?
    I agree with the .net idea. While some people have it in their heads that .com is better for business sense.. if you can get word out, a .net doesn't have any "real" advantages in my mind. Of course, someone bought up the .com I wanted and never actually used it so I made my site a .net and get lots of traffic with very little publicizing other than message boards and through friends sharing with friends online etc.

If you were building a website FOR someone, then you might have a little trouble convincing THEM that a .net isn't as bad as they might think, but it's honestly NOT a bad thing to have a .net.
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

are there any other creative ideas besides the usual - name + photography or name + photo.

there must be other creative ways to name your business besides the usual.

Thread Information