Photography Release Forms

I have a dog forum. And each year I make a calendar for the members using photos they choose of their dogs in my cafepress store. They also know that the calendars will be for public sale. This has never been a problem until an ex member suddenly decided to make a complaint about their dog's picture being in the calendars. I know now that I need a realease form from each person. My question is this; will an electronic form with an electronic signature be ok? My members are from around the world. Thanks for any advice.

Re: Photography Release Forms

Interesting question. It should perhaps be in the Law forum.

You need a Property Release Form (a dog is not a person). There's an example here, with an interesting discussion higher up the site:

http://www.asmp.org/tutorials/property-release.html

A mail copy of a form is too easy to forge. I think you need a signed copy sent by fax, or possibly a PDF
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thank you so much for your reply. Please forgive me if i posted in the wrong place. But I did not see the area you mentioned. Why would a PDF be different? Thank you for the link.

By "PDF file" I mean a scanned, signed paper release form converted into a PDF by a scan-to-mail system (fairly widespread in large companies) and sent by mail automatically. It contains the signature

I thought it would be a little bit difficult to falsify but I just checked up on one I have on my system and it's not clear that it's generated by a scan-to-mail rather than by an editor, for instance. FAX is safest.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Ok, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliemama View Post
    I have a dog forum. And each year I make a calendar for the members using photos they choose of their dogs in my cafepress store. They also know that the calendars will be for public sale. This has never been a problem until an ex member suddenly decided to make a complaint about their dog's picture being in the calendars. I know now that I need a realease form from each person. My question is this; will an electronic form with an electronic signature be ok? My members are from around the world. Thanks for any advice.
    You may want to talk to a lawyer...

Thread Information