CMP

LOGO - Would you remove it.

I am newer to owning and running my own studio and have had two people ask me to remove the logo from the photos I took and person demand it. I have put my foot down so far and actually banned one person from the studio who proceeded to throw a chair across the room saying they paid $50 for their CD and they want the logo gone.
    Is this customary to remove the logo if the customer wants it??
    I'll add a photo of a model I shot to show you what the logo looks like.
    This is not one of the people who threw a fit, just a example of my logo.

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: LOGO - Would you remove it.

For me it depends on the image & the customer. When I deliver a CD of 600px proof images, they have my logo on the picture usually in one of the corners. The customer can use them for emails, blog postings, & stuff like that, and I let them know they will have my logo.

If they buy hi-res jpgs from me that they will be printing, then I leave my logo off. I make sure that that info is passed onto the customer before we shoot so we are both on the same page.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I'm not in the business but it seems like asking an artist to not sign a painting.
    I don't see your example.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by CMP
    I have put my foot down so far and actually banned one person from the studio who proceeded to throw a chair across the room saying they paid $50 for their CD and they want the logo gone.

I trust you called the cops for that.

The track photogs for the local track sell cd's and all the images on the cd have their logo.

Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

I dont see your example either. I dont know how many photo's are on your CD's but $50 sounds like a steal. Post your example when you have time.

Quote Originally Posted by CMP
    I am newer to owning and running my own studio and have had two people ask me to remove the logo from the photos I took and person demand it.

I have put my foot down so far and actually banned one person from the studio who proceeded to throw a chair across the room saying they paid $50 for their CD and they want the logo gone.

Is this customary to remove the logo if the customer wants it??
    I'll add a photo of a model I shot to show you what the logo looks like.
    This is not one of the people who threw a fit, just a example of my logo.
    Well we really do need to see the example of the logo.. I think it's proper for web-based images and CDs to be used on websites to have a small signature at the bottom right-hand corner. I trust you did have a laugh at that person, I know I would. I see you're new to studio work..what kind of shoot did you agree to do with the person and what was decided beforehand in the preliminary meetings with them? It's a good idea to have a written document outlining what you do, what you will do, what your price is, the justification of that price, how much you charge for hardcopy prints, how much you charge for framed prints, how much you charge for a CD or DVD slideshow...etc. etc.

This way your customers cannot come back to you and say you didn't deliver what you promised for the price that you did initially agree to. It also does look great in court if they were silly or rich enough to take it that far out of spite (for a 50 $ cd i cant see that happening, but i have heard of people taking photographers to court who **** up their 5000 $ pre-paid wedding shoot).

This is merely to protect you further in the future, after the shoot is over you can opt to have them pay a bit less for you to include your signature at the bottom of the CD optimized for web use...though...you are selling your photos of their special event or day or picture, and you aren't selling yourself or your company.

Picture this; you buy a car and the dealership insists on slapping on a massive "BOUGHT FROM 9420 st. CARSRUS" on the hood - would you buy another car from there? Uh...I wouldn't..

If they are buying a CD from you filled with images I suggest you do not watermark because they have bought those images. Like i said, we do need to see that logo, however, an example (are you talking about a dinky little thing in the corner or a massive thing that covers the entire photo? the latter i can see as being inappropriate, but it all depends on what you agreed to initially with the customer).

50 $ is extremely cheap..hell I charge 200 $ for family/birthdays and that includes at least 3 prints of each photo that they choose as well as a CD optimized for any online blogs they have and that's at bare minimum...gotta make a living please charge higher !!there's no need to cheap yourself !! It will come back to you if you start charging low then rise to high...people will expect that you can deliver what you say for cheap and that's never a good thing.. goodluck
    Last edited by Kajuah; 08-01-2008 at 10:05 PM.

For a CD with tons of lower resolution images you can include a logo. Keep it discrete and reasonable though. If they buy high resolution Tiffs or Jpegs from you, then I would expect no logo to be on the images.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

If someone buys a cd from me, no logo is added. I do however, have in my contract that I have all rights to the images and they are not allowed to claim them or resell them as their own or anyone elses. That somewhat protects me in the case that I find someone has tried to pass off one of my images as their own.... as far as using them as "advertising", I just hope that my clients like my pictures enough to refer me to the people they know based on the experience they had and the quality of images I gave them. If people like the images, they will ask where they had it done.
    Summer Katz
    Katz Photography
    www.katzphotography.net

Thread Information